For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
keilau02's profile

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

Tuesday, May 12th, 2015 12:18 AM

STB HDMI to TV DVI input

I have an older TV set that has only DVI input. I have been using it with no problem for year when the STB HDMI to Marantz AV receiver HDMI to LG TV DVI. The audio is connect by S/PID optical cable. Both HDMI and DVI support HDCP handshake. I assume the cable is ok because it has been working fine.

I move the TV to my basement recently and connect the STB HDMI to TV DVI without the receiver. The picture and sound are both excellent. But I get a HDCP error message from the STB every few minutes telling my video is NOT working. Some internet search show that I have to set the STB in DVI mode. What does that mean? How do I do it?

I called AT&T technical service. The tech had no idea of the problem and insisted to send me a replacement STB. I asked to be elevated to the next level support, but no one ever answer. I finally hanged up in frustration.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

I would want to put the reciever back in the mix to verify it still works. Since the HDMI goes through the reciever, the optical cable seems redundant.

How about the link to the reference of putting the STB in DVI mode?

That sounds odd. No user settable options available.

If the TV actualy does provide HDCP it should work HDMI to DVI with analog sound (no receiver).

How about options on the TV? What is model number?

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

9 years ago

The TV is a LG DU-37LZ30 model about 8 years old.

The link on setting the HDMI transmitter to DVI mode is on page 2, item 4 of the following:

http://www.quantumdata.com/resources/white%20paper/hdcp_wp.pdf

No sure how old this is and whether the suggestion makes sense.

The  receiver that works is a Marantz 1602 that stays in the family room with a new TV. No optical audio connection is needed with the Marantz now and before. The old TV was move to my mainly audio system in the basement. The STB HDMI is connected to the TV with the same DVI converter cable as before. I do not have HDMI input in the audio system and the U-verse sound is connected by a S/PID optical cable to a surround process. Everything seems to work fine except the HDCP error message flashing for 2-3 seconds every several minutes.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

The direct path to eliminating the HDMI error message is to eliinate the HDMI interface. Instead, use the component connection. Yes, it is analog, not digital. I believe you will find it as good or better than HDMI for U-verse.

Since you have more than one TV & a receiver, you must have some extra RCA cables around. If no extra, borrow three from the receiver/tv to connect the three video paths to see what you think. Then you can buy a full five connection cable. momonoprice.com has the right price.

The link you provided describing the HDMI interface appears rto be a theoretical description of things to cover for various cases. If you are building an interface.

att has no obligation to include the DVI connection in their design. They need to cover HD viewing of u-verse for the most common options. DVI is not a common connection for TVs. Standard TV is convered by HDMI or component. If you were doing a new tech install, you would simply be connected with component cable withiut comment.

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

9 years ago

Anybody else has DVI, no HDMI TV set? How do you connect? Do you have any problem?

The error message is H1001. It says that I had HDCP problem that prevented me from getting video signal. Well, the video is fine before and after the 2-3 second flashing of the error message.

If you directly connect the STB to the (any DVI only) TV and have had no problem, would you let me know here. I do not want to use the composite or S-video connection and give up the HD quality signal.

I tried replacing the U-verse STB with a HDMI out DVD unit for testing. The DVD has no HDCP handshake problem using same cables (HDMI to DVI + optical) and same setup with the old TV set.

I have 3 U-verse STB (2 wired and one wireless) in my house. I substitue the box in basement and got the same problem. That convinced me that I have a setup issue, not a hardware issue.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

Are you confusing component and composite? Component is HD. It did not suggest SD.

Since you cannot examine the signal on HD, you cannot trouble shoot it. You can only try variations. Many people have HDMI to DVI successfully. But, that does not help you. Many people have HDMI to HDMI & it is probelmatic.

Why do you not want to try component?

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

9 years ago

Why do I not want to try "component"?

The LG TV set is old. I do not want to invest another $40 on 3-wire component cable, not knowing how much longer I can keep the set working. For now, the picture is perfect and I do not want to invest in a new TV set either yet. But I expect all future TV in my house to be HDMI ready.

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

9 years ago

aviewer,

Thank you for the link to Amazon. $10 is more than reasonable in price. I used to have several high end component cable sets and gave them away when I replaced a Pioneer AV receiver with the Marantz 1602.

I do not forsaw any problem using the HDMI to DVI cable for direct STB to TV connection. It caught me by surprise. I just hope that it is a known problem and someone already has a solution. It does not seem to be the case. Sigh!

I do have many video and audio RCA cable around and may try to use them to see if they work as component video cables.

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

9 years ago

I am really puzzled when I tried 2 different DVD with the same HDMI/DVI cable and LG TV and got no HDCP handshake problem. I tried 2 AT&T STB and both of them do.

Go figure.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

9 years ago

Different equipment vendors implement the HDMI and HDCP specifications differently.  The reference design used by both AT&T Receiver manufacturers obviously implemented them differently from the manufacturer of your DVD players.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.