Learn how you can get the iPhone 13 now!
kregg451's profile

Tutor

 • 

1 Message

Mon, Aug 19, 2013 10:56 PM

No Al Jazeera

Please do not carry Al Jazeera.  We already have plenty of, so called, news channels that are nothing more than propogandists that sell advertising time.  That last thing the American television landscape needs is to be inundated with the propoganda of Islamic extremists.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ATTDmitriyCM

Community Manager

 • 

9.9K Messages

8 y ago

We dropped the Current TV channel, and will not carry Al Jazeera America, on U-verse due to contract disputes. We could not reach an agreement with the owner that we believe provided value for our customers and our business.

ACE - Expert

 • 

20.6K Messages

8 y ago

Al Jazeera America is scheduled to start broadcasting on channel 189 Tuesday 8/20.

 

Let's not pass judgement just yet.

 

Tuesday launch

texasguy37

Expert

 • 

14.5K Messages

8 y ago


@kregg451 wrote:

 

Please do not carry Al Jazeera.  We already have plenty of, so called, news channels that are nothing more than propogandists that sell advertising time.  That last thing the American television landscape needs is to be inundated with the propoganda of Islamic extremists.


Al Jazeera America is not propoganda from Islamic extremists.

ACE - Master

 • 

6.9K Messages

8 y ago

I might tune in to see whether or not they are going to be an unbiased media outlet, but if they are as left leaning as CNN, MSNBC I'll just hide the channel.  If they are neutral, I might make them more of my regular news outlet.

dhascall

ACE - Master

 • 

9.8K Messages

8 y ago


@oufanindallas wrote:

I might tune in to see whether or not they are going to be an unbiased media outlet, but if they are as left leaning as CNN, MSNBC I'll just hide the channel.  If they are neutral, I might make them more of my regular news outlet.


Well OUFan, as you can see from Dmitri's post, no you won't tune in.  That is too bad as I have heard that they are very neutral.  The Al Jazera website channel finder for my zip shows that they are on 189.  Oops.  U-Verse is not an option on their request a provider section as they still think that we have them.  They are on Comcast, 4DTV (freeview)Dish and Direct but I do not see Bright House.

 

When will the posts start to fly in, asking for the loss of any programming on 189? LOL!

americangame

Professor

 • 

1.3K Messages

8 y ago


@dhascall wrote:

@oufanindallas wrote:

I might tune in to see whether or not they are going to be an unbiased media outlet, but if they are as left leaning as CNN, MSNBC I'll just hide the channel.  If they are neutral, I might make them more of my regular news outlet.


Well OUFan, as you can see from Dmitri's post, no you won't tune in.  That is too bad as I have heard that they are very neutral.  The Al Jazera website channel finder for my zip shows that they are on 189.  Oops.  U-Verse is not an option on their request a provider section as they still think that we have them.  They are on Comcast, 4DTV (freeview)Dish and Direct but I do not see Bright House.

 

When will the posts start to fly in, asking for the loss of any programming on 189? LOL!


That won't happen. Nobody watched Current!

dhascall

ACE - Master

 • 

9.8K Messages

8 y ago


@americangame wrote:

@dhascall wrote:

@oufanindallas wrote:

I might tune in to see whether or not they are going to be an unbiased media outlet, but if they are as left leaning as CNN, MSNBC I'll just hide the channel.  If they are neutral, I might make them more of my regular news outlet.


Well OUFan, as you can see from Dmitri's post, no you won't tune in.  That is too bad as I have heard that they are very neutral.  The Al Jazera website channel finder for my zip shows that they are on 189.  Oops.  U-Verse is not an option on their request a provider section as they still think that we have them.  They are on Comcast, 4DTV (freeview)Dish and Direct but I do not see Bright House.

 

When will the posts start to fly in, asking for the loss of any programming on 189? LOL!


That won't happen. Nobody watched Current!


Oh it will happen!  Trust me.  The few times that a channel has left (taken down by the channel owners) or an agreement not reached, there has been at least a few such silly requests.  I want my two cents that they paid each month, lol.

Tutor

 • 

2 Messages

8 y ago

I watched Current, it was the reason I left Charter.  Cenk Uygur and John Fugelsang were the best journalists in the business.  Al Jazeera is supposed to have a pro-western slant, but from an Arab point of view that could be interesting.  My at&t contract expires in a few weeks, and with Dexter and Breaking Bad winding down I will go to the cheapest basic tv/internet package I can find. 

Teacher

 • 

7 Messages

8 y ago

You know, pittman, I might just do the same thing.  I was so looking forward to this channel, and I am not even on a contract.  Comcrap, here I come Smiley Sad.

dwinth

ACE - Professor

 • 

2.4K Messages

8 y ago

This is unbelievable that people are threatening to quit U-Verse over a news channel that no one had cared about or even mentioned before Current TV sold out to Al Jazeera. I never even heard of Current TV until it was brought out that Al Gore was behind it.


Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

ACE - Master

 • 

6.9K Messages

8 y ago


@dwinth wrote:

This is unbelievable that people are threatening to quit U-Verse over a news channel that no one had cared about or even mentioned before Current TV sold out to Al Jazeera. I never even heard of Current TV until it was brought out that Al Gore was behind it.


Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.


There was a Current TV? Smiley Very Happy

 

I think their ratings were even lower than MSNBC and CNN if that is even possible.

Scholar

 • 

197 Messages

8 y ago

Al Jazeera is fighting for their right to be carried . I might not watch them, but they deserve their voice here in the supposed land of the free

Tutor

 • 

3 Messages

8 y ago

Well,it's time to reach an agreement! 

LoveHD

Scholar

 • 

155 Messages

8 y ago

I prefer having the opportunity to view Al Jazeera America and reaching my own viewpoint on it before anyone, including kregg451 (who originated this thread), attempts to tell me whether he approves of its inclusion in a channel lineup.

Teacher

 • 

3 Messages

8 y ago

Al Jazeera is simply a news organization that falls somewhere between MSNBC and CNN ideologically.  Like BBC, it focuses on international news while avoiding the entertainment-only stories such as what Justin Beiber or Lindsey Lohan happens to be doing today.  AT&T Uverse seems to be engaging in censorship here, which is a truly un-American response.  Even if you do not want to watch Al Jazeera, it seems hypocritical to engage in unconstitutional action in order to support American ideals.

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.