For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
noisy_cricket's profile

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

Wednesday, December 19th, 2012 7:45 PM

Need some help understanding my network layout for upcomming install

So, I have a scheduled Uverse install this weekend and wanted to run this past you guys. I'm trying to decide how my network needs to be setup to support the STBs and my PCs over wired network.

Here's my current setup

3 TVs with dedicated CAT6 runs to the basement where all my gear is. RG6 is also available but I'm trying to avoid.

4 dedicated CAT6 lines from a PC, XBOX, and 2 Blu-ray players.

6 wireless devices.

From what I can tell the UV Gateway will have 4 ports. can I put the STB directly to the gateway and then put the rest of my devices to a switch and then to the remaining port?

Will that be sufficient to keep the multicast traffic away from my other devices?

Also, I did try to get uverse a couple years ago and I guess I was just outside of range and was told I would have to wait for Pair Bonding installed to be available. Does that throw any wrenches into my plans? I've done some digging and seen some posts where people stated that with the inid setup required for pair bonding that only RG6 is supported for the STBs?

Thanks!!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

noisy_cricket - I was nodding my head with you up to the inid part. Although, what you say about the inid is also correct. The two do not mesh.

The inid standard feed is COAX for TV. COAX works fine when ends are compression & there are no barrel connectors.

Posts indicate that TV can be fed off the jack in the inid, but it has to be manually turned on initially & after any reboot of the inid. The inside device feeds only computers, etc. No TVs.

If you do not need an inid your initial description is accurate.

Guru

• 

622 Messages

11 years ago

It might depend on what you mean by switch.  If you mean a router, then I don't see why not - in fact, I use a wireless router to connect my hardwired devices in one room to the Gateway in another.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.3K Messages

11 years ago

You can put either your STB's on a Gigabit switch (such as the NetGear GS108) or you can put your wired network devices on a switch (or a router if you really want), just don't mix STB's and Network devices on the same switch (basically the same port on the RG).

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

cool, thanks for the replies guys!

ACE - Expert

• 

35.3K Messages

11 years ago

Oooh... I wasn't paying attention to the Pair Bonding.

Yes, unless you're doing a Wireless TV Receiver install, the way of the iNID is to install TV over Coax.  The Transmitter for the Wireless Recievers gets its feed over Ethernet, so theoretically you should be able to run your wired TV's from that same leg of Ethernet, still, don't mix HSI with IPTV, the broadcast IPTV signal will flood your network with stuff it don't want (it won't really be much of a problem as long as you have no wireless access points there, though).

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

no wireless TVs. I like my nice predictable performance wired connections (when possible).

So with an inid (aka pair bonded install, unless I'm getting that mixed up) install does the equipment not support ethernet to the STBs? or is it just not recommended due to the possible network flooding of the IPTV traffic?

I have RG6 wired to the TVs as well as CAT6 so it's no biggie if RG6 is what needs to be used. I just wanted to get everything planned out so it's easier for the tech to do what they need to do.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

oh, and my RG6 runs are minimal, no splits or extensions. direct from the basement to the tvs. smallish ranch home so the runs are 35ft at most.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

I have gotten to the point that I am starting to move over to more wireless than wired devices. Just pulled four runs of Cat-5e out that have not been used in over a year and a half.

Only stuff still on ethernet is the three UVerse boxes, our Blu-Ray, and the PS3. Everything else is on the Wireless-N A/P (Netgear WN802T-200NAS), or on the RG for those that do not need Wireless-N.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.3K Messages

11 years ago

There are "installation standards" the techs must follow, and due to some previous issues with the firmware in the components of the iNID installation, and the fact that most people have coax runs to where there TV's are, the standard installation for an iNID is to use Coax for IPTV, then deliver all HSI over Ethernet from the i38HG, which is connected to the i3812 (the iNID) via HPNA over whatever medium is handy.

The i3812 has an Ethernet port that can be enabled, and can carry the IPTV traffic.  i38HG's with the latest firmware can split the multicast IPTV traffic out to only those ports that need it.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.3K Messages

11 years ago

While I use wireless for some things, especially those that have to be mobile or low voume, there's no substitute for a high bandwidth, low latency, rock solid twisted-pair Ethernet connection that's not subject to interference from other wireless networks, devices, etc.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.