For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
AustinTX#1's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, August 9th, 2011 10:50 PM

Longhorn Network - Just say 'No'

I greatly appreciate the value provided by AT&T in bundling tv/wireless/internet services.  Similarly, the bundling of channels allows customers to access a variety of programming at substantial savings.

However, occasionally, programming comes along that is so expensive and directed at such a narrow, niche market that it deserves to be left off of the programming options or ordered solely as an 'a la carte' option.  If the reports about the price tag  to cable providers  to offer the 'longhorn network' (by ESPN) are accurate, the only way it could be added to current bundled programming packages is at substantial cost to MANY people who have no interest in the programming. 

Please AT&T, keep prices low, by either not offering or charging ONLY those who desire this programming option.

Thanks!

ACE - Expert

• 

35.4K Messages

12 years ago

@Ish Kabibble wrote:

"This is another example of how we continue to deliver the content customers want.”;

Please excuse me but I have a real problem with that statement. I have a feeling that Disney Jr, Hallmark, NHL, BBCAmerica, Beinsports and Pac 10 fanns will agree. I'm happy for Longhorn fans but this is not what I want. Up here in Ohio that channel will probably have a zero rating. Yes I definelly have a problem with that statement.

Well, I'm not really interested in any of the channels that you listed--or the Longhorn Network--but I know there are customers who wanted this content.  They can be happy.  You (and the Texas A&M fans) won't be.  Can't please everyone. Smiley Wink

Scholar

• 

177 Messages

12 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

I think what finally made this possible was the split tiering.  TX residents get it on U200.   Others have to subscribe to U450.  That way Uverse has to pay ESPN for a much-reduced number of subscribers vs. it being available to everyone in the country.  Uverse may actually pick up one or two subscribers for U450 this way.

You are probably right. I believe I read that TWC has split tiering for the Pac 10 network.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

12 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

@Ish Kabibble wrote:

"This is another example of how we continue to deliver the content customers want.”;

Please excuse me but I have a real problem with that statement. I have a feeling that Disney Jr, Hallmark, NHL, BBCAmerica, Beinsports and Pac 10 fanns will agree. I'm happy for Longhorn fans but this is not what I want. Up here in Ohio that channel will probably have a zero rating. Yes I definelly have a problem with that statement.

Well, I'm not really interested in any of the channels that you listed--or the Longhorn Network--but I know there are customers who wanted this content.  They can be happy.  You (and the Texas A&M fans) won't be.  Can't please everyone. Smiley Wink

I have a soon to be 4yr old and I'm a hockey fan so both Disney Jr and NHL network would please me.  Definately not a fan of the university down in Austin, but if OU is playing them in other sports besides football then I may venture over there to watch.  Glad one hurdle has been jumped, now to quite the left coasters and get the Pac-12 network(s).

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

12 years ago

Apparently you were right!

@thefaith333 wrote:

Just got confirmation from a VERY RELIABLE SOURCE.

U-Verse WILL get LHN.

Official announcment of LHN being added to U-Verse will come by the end of the week, like Friday. 

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

12 years ago

Yeah, I have the LHN on 1609 in the Central Ohio market with U450. I'll probably cutting my service back to U300! Smiley Very Happy

Scholar

• 

177 Messages

12 years ago

@Uniblurb3 wrote:

Yeah, I have the LHN on 1609 in the Central Ohio market with U450. I'll probably cutting my service back to U300! Smiley Very Happy

I turned it on yesterday to check it out. I'll probably never watch it again.

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

12 years ago

@Ish Kabibble wrote:

@Uniblurb3 wrote:

Same here. Don't know if there's any other college teams which have their own separate network? Believe it's mainly leagues like the BTN (1650) channel here. Heck, the high schools here can barely get by financially, with lots of cutbacks, let alone building a $60M HS stadium in Allen, a suburb of Dallas. This story has been all over the national news and a 800 member HS band to boot! But the voters wanted it, willing to pay for the bond issue, so it's not being supported through an education/school levy.

Oh well, I remember visiting my mom years ago where she retired in NC and they would pull prime-time OTA programming to show local HS basketball!

Sorry for going a little off-topic.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

12 years ago

@Uniblurb3 wrote:

@Ish Kabibble wrote:

@Uniblurb3 wrote:

Same here. Don't know if there's any other college teams which have their own separate network? Believe it's mainly leagues like the BTN (1650) channel here. Heck, the high schools here can barely get by financially, with lots of cutbacks, let alone building a $60M HS stadium in Allen, a suburb of Dallas. This story has been all over the national news and a 800 member HS band to boot! But the voters wanted it, willing to pay for the bond issue, so it's not being supported through an education/school levy.

Oh well, I remember visiting my mom years ago where she retired in NC and they would pull prime-time OTA programming to show local HS basketball!

Sorry for going a little off-topic.

Being that I grew up in Texas and Friday night football is ingrained into my brain, I didn't realize that local football (High School and/or college) would raise such ire.

I worked with an Aggie who lived and breathed the maroon & white.  I didn't get it but I knew to NEVER mention them and UT or Texas Tech in the same breath lest you get an entire lecture on the subject.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

I'm pretty annoyed that Uverse decided to pick up this albatross of a network that destroyed the Big 12 and the best rivalry in college sports. I guess they figured people really wanted to watch a .500 team with no QB and follow it up with women's college volleyball and softball the rest of the year.

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

12 years ago

ATT is HQ'd in TX, though not Austin, but maybe a lot of UT grads/fans?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.