For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
jjaznak's profile

• 

1 Message

Friday, November 18th, 2022 3:25 AM

uverse to direct tv at at&t’s urgent request

Received MANY letters from at&t basically requiring a switch from UVerse to Direct TV streaming (fiber?). The correspondence warned that UVerse would no longer be viable. Switch completed today. Installer told me my DVR recordings and also the SCHEDULE of recordings would still be available, and that I wouldn’t have to do anything additional for my previously scheduled programs to record. 

Now, I can’t seem to find any of the previously recorded programs, nor can I find or figure out how to NOW use THE(?) DVR or begin the process to set up to record. 

How do I use the new DVR? 

I was given no physical instructions and no verbal instructions as to where to look for them possibly online?

The tech who did the fiber installation was nice enough, and professional.

The other person who came (“from corporate”?) to set up the new box was also nice, but I am left with many questions as to how to use the new equipment and also remove and return(?) the previous equipment. 

Can someone please advise?

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

1 year ago

Yes and no. U-Verse will eventually turn off some day, but only AT&T knows when that is.  Anything else is hype. You've been getting basic advertising and nothing else. Any switch is not "basically required" or any other fancy terminology you see/use.

When you canceled U-Verse, your U-Verse DVR became no longer accessible...the same as if you switched to any other provider.

DirecTV Stream has zero to do with fiber. Fiber refers to the material your internet signal travels on.

The DirecTV Stream DVR is entirely cloud-based. It'll be somewhere on a cloud, similar to web-based email that you can access anywhere. You'll have to use a streaming device like a game system, laptop, Chromecast, Roku or Firestick. For a while, there was a device called Osprey, which basically operated like a receiver box comparable to what you're probably used to. These boxes can legally be bought on eBay, but I don't think AT&T offers them these days...for a while, they required a contract with AT&T. Keep in mind that you don't need an Osprey, but since it has a traditional remote (I believe it also has traditional channel numbers), that it might be easier for some people.

As said, DirecTV Stream works on any number of smart devices.

As far as returning equipment, pay attention to every correspondence AT&T sends. Take the equipment back to FedEx or UPS. If they don't want it, try another location. If not, hold on to your devices. If you get a notice saying "please return or you'll face a penalty" take that notice to the store location with you.

There is a forum listed below that can help with DirecTV Stream questions.

http://forums.directv.com

(edited)

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

1 year ago

Note to ACEs/moderators:

Please keep this open as we can help here.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

1 year ago

DirectvStream does not have a physical DVR box like you had with U-verse TV. 

While what you wrote appears to have some shady aspects to it, what you went through would happen eventually regardless.  You will lose all aspects of what you had, recordings, scheduling and so on. 

Getting fiber is a win.  You now have choice in all aspects of what programming to subscribe to.  You shouldn't be under any obligation to use DirectvStream. 

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

1 year ago

No, you were not required to move off of AT&T U-verse TV at this time, but now that you have, you've turned off your U-verse TV account and it's gone; you cannot get it back. 

No, you were likely also not required to move off of VDSL2 to fiber at this time, but now that you have, you probably cannot go back to VDSL2.  Welcome to fiber.

Upgrading from VDSL2 to fiber is typically an improvement, but can be done while maintaining U-verse TV.  You could also have gotten DIRECTV stream while on VDSL2, it didn't require fiber.  Fiber just gives you a better (higher bandwidth, lower latency, typically higher-reliability) physical connection to the AT&T network. 

I recently (11 months ago) upgraded from VDSL2 to fiber while maintaining my U-verse TV account, though it was heavily suggested that I should move to DIRECTV stream.

There is not facility whatsoever for moving anything from U-verse TV to DIRECTV stream, not past recordings, not the schedule.  Anyone who told you different is distributing blatant untruths, either from ignorance or deliberately in order to earn a sales commission.

@baseballisback , yes, the "osprey" box is still sold for use with DIRECTV stream.  It allows functionality not provided with the DIRECTV stream app on other platforms (the primary one is access to channels by entering a channel number on the remote).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.