For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
willy_1's profile

Tutor

• 

18 Messages

Saturday, May 25th, 2019 3:18 AM

U-Verse DVR updated and deleted entire library of recordings. How do I restore them?

So today I was television (Gold Rush) and in the middle of the show, the Uverse gear appears on the screen and starts updating the main DVR. After the update all of my recordings were deleted. I was at roughly 60% DVR storage full (roughly 70 hours left to record) and now the recording space says I have 241 hours open to record to. There was no power loss, no hard reset, or even wires pulled, just watching one show and the machine updates. So how do I get the recordings back? I had News programs, shows, a few movies, and a couple shows that were to be binged when the season ends next week. Thanks.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

...and now the recording space says I have 241 hours open to record to.

- - -

So how do I get the recordings back?

If the space was reclaimed the recordings are gone and there is no getting them back.  What makes you think it was "updating" as opposed to non-disaster or disaster recovery?  There have been no updates to the dvr for years (but that's another story).

It's strange the dvr behaved like that, i.e., automatically doing that.Man Surprised  If it went into non-disaster recovery then all your other settings like favorites and guide's hidden channels would still be intact but that shouldn't delete the recordings.  If it went into disaster recovery then all the settings would be reset and recordings deleted.  Basically a factory reset.  But those have to be explicitly initiated. 

I guess there could be a case where the hard drive's file system detected some error so bad it had no choice but to go into some kind of hard drive recovery on its own.  But I don't recall anyone ever reporting such an event.  If such a auto-recovery is possible, now that it has happened to you, I wouldn't trust that disk (and hence the dvr) any longer because if it happened once it probably happen again.

Since the recordings are gone maybe you should try getting a replacement dvr.   The recordings are gone so at this point you got nothing to loose.  Note you shouldn't have lost your scheduling and you still won't even if you replace the dvr.

Tutor

• 

18 Messages

5 years ago

Since I cannot edit this post, I just wanted to say that there is a second post here: LINK . We did not intend to double post, it is just that I (Christopher) posted to ask about this and then later my father posted to ask for help as well not knowing I already asked. Still, it is not right to have our recordings deleted, seems we have to live with shoddy equipment and service because that is the norm. The internet drops 1 to 15 different times a day (average about 3) and the modem is fine when they do the phone test even though it displays a lack of signal. During any light wind or weather, the service gets jumpy and the repairman actually said there is nothing ATnT will do because in 10 years the area will be changing to fiber or wireless, all he can do is put it on another switch but 'had to remove what repairman said even though it is not foul language', so it is pointless to even call for support anymore over the last few years.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

Sorry you are having such problems.  Maybe ATTCares will see these threads and comment.  I still suggest trying to get a replacrment dvr.

Also not sure why you couldn't edit this thread.  Maybe for the same reason I didn't see my post 2 above at the time I replied to your other thread.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.