Let AT&T help you elebrate your dad with Father's Day Gifts that connect us.
J

• 

2 Messages

Monday, May 4th, 2020 9:55 PM

Connecting porch u-verse receiver to exterior box

I'd like to be able to watch u-verse tv in my porch that's not connected to the house and the wireless receiver does not get good signale. I'd like to run a regular cable from wired receiver to the box that's outside of the house. Is this possible? How do I go about connecting it? Here's the picture of the exterior box. Thanks!

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

The wires from the outdoor box run to a low voltage panel in the house which in turn are connected to the gateway. Can the cable be spliced at the outdoor box to connect the receiver directly?

Former Employee

• 

22.5K Messages

Depending on the quality of the wiring and if pairs are available....

Porch not connected to house....

Means you need to pull / place cat5e or cat6 thru a conduit that has been buried from the non attached porch to the NID.

Will need 2 free good pairs (T100 wiring) from the NID to the gateway.

An RJ45 jack installed by gateway with a short ethernet patch cable from wall jack to one of the yellow ports on the gateway. If none available will need to purchase a multi port switch such Netgear GS105 to expand the ports.

T100 wiring is using the GREEN and ORANGE pairs on the jack.

Will need the same setup on the porch, RJ45 jack with ethernet patch cable wired as T100.

Once you have the conduit in place with wiring ready to go... if have any issues with actual connection process can call 800.288.2020 to schedule a tech appointment. Standard service call is $99 while a Dispatch On Demand (DOD) is $149. Additional wiring charges can apply if need materials plus labor.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.8K Messages

4 years ago

To clarify, U-verse TV is very unlike CATV (Cable). The receiver has no idea how to deal with the VDSL2 protocol arriving at the NID and being passed up to the Gateway. The Gateway processes the VDSL2 protocol and speaks Ethernet on your internal wiring, and your Receiver understands Ethernet. What my thoughts describes in his post is a way of using unused wires in the cable between the NID and the Gateway as an Ethernet cable to bring signal that your receiver understands back to the NID. Then you could connect your receiver to that.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.