Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
dugawug's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, June 11th, 2012 3:30 AM

U-verse + TV tuner? To be or not to be...

My girlfriend recently got U-verse, now she'd rather watch through her computer.  I went out and bought an HDHomeRun by SiliconDust and was hopeful it would work.

I set it up (very easy, takes the coaxial cable from the U-verse STB and CAT5 from the wireless router).  The device was found, but a scan for channels never turned up anything.

I then did a little google search with mixed results, most of which seem to say you can't use it with IPTV services like U-verse.

Is ANYONE using this box with U-verse (in Northern CA particularly)?  If not, what about another one like it (less ideally, a USB solution)?

I'm at a loss, spent most of my weekend in tech support woe.  Smiley Frustrated

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

dugawug -
Looks like the box you want is the Vulkano FLow - http://www.amazon.com/Vulkano-Flow-Mobile-Device-Viewing/dp/tech-data/B004M189OM/ref=de_a_smtd
If you want SD connect to the STB via composite. If you want HD connect component.

You will select channels on the STB via either the U-verse remote or the PC via the Vulkano IR blaster.

You can watch via any computer connected to the web.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

12 years ago

You have to change the channel on the STB that you want to watch on the computer.  There is no scanning involved as this is not cable that uses RF, this is IPTV that uses data packets to deliver 1 channel at a time on 1 STB.

Should just be selecting channel 3 as that's what the coxaial output puts out. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

dugawug - The "can not use with IPTV" you found translates to - "use the output from the STB" that Chris posts.

You said you used the coax from the STB - If it is the input coax, it does not work. If it is the output coax, it is analog channel 3 or 4. Does the HDhomerun support analog channels?

Maybe switch to a slingbox to keep the all computers feature.

Check out this site for various single computer applications or Hauppage.

http://sewelldirect.com/articles/PCtoTV.aspx

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

I don't think it supports analog channels.  I only saw options to choose Digital Cable, Digital Antenna or Cablecard.  I guess I'm taking it back.

I've heard slingshot can do it, but not going for a nearly $200 solution.

aviewer mentioned Hauppage. Will one of their cheaper USB solutions work?  I don't see how if the HDHomeRun didn't.  That and it'd be less convenient running coaxial across the room directly into her laptop.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

thanks aviewer.  i may check out that Vulkano Flow.  not sure why it works with uverse whereas the hdhomerun did not though.

oh, and i got back an official word from Silicon Dust that their HDHomeRun WILL NOT work with U-verse, for anyone's future info.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

dugawug - The HDHomerun is a digital tuner only. The digital signal it tunes is only available over the air and the line cable signal. It is not available on U-verse or output from cable boxes.

The slingbox and Vulkano and possibly others include the type of connection output from cable boxes, including U-verse.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.