For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
jfmobile's profile

Teacher

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, March 17th, 2015 6:53 PM

Closed

Reward card scam

Judging from the posts, I am not the only one taken in.  There was supposed to be a $200 reward card for originally signing up.  It never arrived.  A phone call informed me that it took a couple of months to process....piffle.  A second call resulted in an apology for no card and by way of recompense, high (?) speed internet was offered as a sop.  Again no card!.  Called again and received another apology, a promise to correct the situation and...would I like to try the U300 service?  This was January....waited on the 300 channels, they never arrived...the card never arrived...if fact, nothing arrived.

Called again yesterday, went through a supervisor for whom English was not a native tongue.  Finally received the 300 channels only to find out I had been paying for them since January.  But, bright spot, the upgrade came with another reward card....which was never received.  

Finally was referred, for the first time to the reward center and was informed...SORRY, time has elapsed, we sent you a letter.

How many others have been scammed by this crap?  It will make a great episode for Judge Judy.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

@JefferMC

How I keep my records is none of your business, but if you MUST know: ATT makes you pay the installment feed BEFORE they come to intall, at least in the region I was in they did. When you tech damaged my landlords property (left a phone jack completely destroyed with wires handing out of it and the plate broken into pieces; miscalculated and drilled a new line OVER 12 INCHES above the baseboard because he drilled through brick from the outside of the unit) the regional manager promised to take care of the installation and the first month's bill. I pay almost all of my bills on autopay. I generally have an idea of what I spend each month, so when I get my credit card bills, if the balance and what I thought I spent deviates -/+$300 my hackles are not raised. 

When it came time to move, I called ATT to cancel the service. My balance should have been zero had the regional manager did what he said he would. Another call to the rep to get the final bill taken care of and another promise that it would be. Autopay removed from account (because at that point, can't even trust ATT anymore to have my CC on file) and not a single bill from ATT stating that I had a balance and not a single hit on my credit report either (which I monitor religiously). So, you can call that whatever you want. At least with that issue I saved the emails the manager sent me AND the pictures of the damage AND the document attached to the return of my deposit with entry from my former landlord showing that I was charged for the cost of installling and replacing a new phone jack where the tech destroyed the old one. Unfortunately for my landlord, there is nothing she can really do about how ridiculous and ugly the phone jack he installed looks hoovering in the middle of the wall over a foot above the baseboard.

My issue with the cards is NOT that they have to be redeemed. My issue is that you are given instructions on redemption, but ATT does not fulfill their obligation to make sure you are able to follow the instructions to redeem. Sure, post cards get lost in the mail, but it's awefully convenient that multiple post cards are lost in the mail. On that, I call, well you know. 

And looking at ATT's FAQs for the reward center, it's apparent that MANY customers have issues with these amazing vanishing post cards. ATT directs customers to sign in to the rewards website to redeem, but most of us with an issue with ATT over these cards already know the result of that: the cards are no longer able to be redeemed and ATT will magically have no record of what they offered you. Instead of telling customers that they can check the rewards website to see when their cards are available, they (and their techs who come install) simply tell you that you'll receive instructions on how to redeem in the mail in 6 weeks. By the time the 6th week rolls around, your reward has been magically forfeited despite the fact that you followed ATT's instructions. 

A quick internet search shows that these cards have been an issue for over 10 years. There are ample complaints all over the web that are nearly identical to my complaint. 

In the end, since ATT can't get their affairs in order, some people contact the FTC. Once an FTC complaint is filed, surpise, surprise ATT can all of a sudden quickly figure out what the issue is (despite the fact that they couldn't figure it out after you called them for months) and give you what they promised.

So, I will say to anyone reading this: again, if ATT can't fix the issue after you've called them three times, simply file a complaint with the FTC to light a fire under them and observe how quickly things are settled once the FTC forwards the complaint to ATT.  

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

Same problem here, rewards card never came. Big problem att doesn't seem to want to acknowledge. Went into the store we bought the bundle from a month after and asked about the cards, they said it could be a couple of months. Went back yesterday, they gave us the rewards card website and said it's out of their hands. Website says expired, but we never recieved anything in the mail. This is not how you keep customers, very disappointed. Contacted att via live chat, they said basically too bad, too late. How can it be too late when we were told to wait? Pathetic.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

I sent a PM to the link provided in this thread, and the person didn't even understand the issue, stating that it was because I made changes to my account. No changes were made, AT&T just didn't mail the promised rewards cards. This now makes 5 different reps whom I've spoken to in one manner or another, none of whom gets it. When you promise $150 cash for signing a rvice agreement and you don't send the money, you've committed fraud. I have filed a complaint with the FTC for fraud. I suggest anyone else who has this problem not waste their time with AT&T reps after the first denial and go straight to the Federal Trade Commission. You can file on line on their website.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

I am so sorry that things are so bad for you. Just remember that Jesus loves you and cares for you and your family. Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again. Luke 6:38  Just trust Him and He will provide what you need.  God Bless you. 

A couple of months ago, I traded my Directv after having it for 5 years to DISH and couldn't be happier. 15.99 a month for 10 months, 19.99 a month for 2 months and then 32.99 after that. Also, got a 5 dollar a month reward and a DISH friend for 10 months. Also, got a 100 dollar visa gift card.  The gift card promotions are done through a third party vendor.  It was a 3 month battle to get it, but I hung in there and finally got it. I wanted to give it to my dad because he is retired on a fixed income.  They said they had sent me an email and i was suppose to respond to it but i never saw it and didn't realize i had to do that. I thought i was suppose to get a letter. I finally got the number of the third party and got intouch with the 3rd party company and finally begged and pleaded to get the email.  She sent me a letter and i followed the instructions of the letter and forgot to put another verification in the envelope. Had left it at the office for the secretary to mail off for me.  I was somewhere else a couple of hours when i remembered that i didn't have it right and didn't have a cell phone to call. Couldn't borrow a phone from anyone and i thought how am i going to call the office? I called them through my gmail emaill account.  It was crazy!  That would have been catastrophic and i wouldn't of gotten the card.  Got it stopped from going to the post office, made it back, fixed it and it took another month or so.  It took 3 months to get the card.  When my dad got it he said that he tried to use it and it was declined!  I said, WHAT? Because i knew what i went through and so did he and then he said, I'm just kidding, I haven't used it yet. I said, hey man that a'int funny! He said, Oh, yes it is and started laughing and then i finally started laughing. But, i wouldn't wish that kind of stress on anybody!!  They have to be stealing them and using them. The third party company. They make sure they send out a certain number of them and steal the rest and the post office has to be involved also.  ATT needs to cancel their contract and find a legitimate 3rd party to deal with. 

Sincerely,

lukebandit 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

It lights a fire under them because they don't want the FTC looking and poking around and get charged with FRAUD!

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@lukebandit wrote:

It lights a fire under them because they don't want the FTC looking and poking around and get charged with FRAUD!

If it's fraud, why have I gotten every reward I was promised? $200 check for signing up, a $20 and 2-$50 rewards cards. Smiley Surprised

I guess I read the letters (not post cards) that said I had a reward waiting. Smiley Very Happy

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Interesting!

After weeks of frustaring communications with att asking about my rewards cards. Today I got the best answer ever. The $300+ reward cards I was supposed to get "EXPERIED". Let me be clear about the first part "supposed"! I got a $25 card after receiving 2 letter indicating my rewards card status. For the last few weeks I've being trying to get an answer about the rest of the money, just to get ..upss sorry we in the rewards department cant do anything about it cause your reward experied. I signed on June! it takes up to 6 weeks to process the cards...how could you posssibly tell me it EXPERIED!! Im trying to keep the language clean, but its really difficult!!

anybody got any luck resolving the problem?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I've been a Uverse customer since they came to Dallas and i was thinking of getting rid of it in 07/15 when I was moving. I called into cancel and was offer a great discount and a 300 rewards card. I took the bait and when they came out to install it took 3 days since no one wanted to do their job properly. After waiting 4 weeks I call to check the status of my rewards card and was told it was not processed. The agent asurrred me he was going to process it and within 10-15 business day I would receive the email. A month later the email never came, so I call back again and was told I was not getting the card because I was getting the discount. I told the rep this is what sold me on staying with Uverse. I was tricked into staying with Uverse by offering me a great discount and a 300 dollar reward card. After almost 3 months of calling I give up and will be switching to cable.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

This is a straight up scam !!!!! I signed up for the uverse service in april and was told that i would recieve my one hundred dollar rewards card after ninety days !!!! i also qualified for a ten dollar rewards card because I singned up for the paperless billing option !!!! Just about three months later i got an email inforrming me that i had qualified for the ten dollar card and was given instructions on how to clam it . I did so and was issued the card . Never heard anything about the hundred dollar card though but, trusting fool that i was , I still waited for the email to tell me i had qualified for it !!!!!  Recently I was speaking in a chat about another issue and asked the service rep about my rewards card and he said , i did indeed have a rewards card for a hundred dollars on file and that i should contact the rewards center > I contacted them and could not get any information and so i called them back yesterday and was told that i had been sent a confirmation letter back in May and had not replied and the reward had expired !!!!! The paperless billing went in almost at the same time as my installion , therefore i don't see why i would not have received them at or about the same time !!!!! i think this is a rip off and i intend to fill a complaint with whatever government agency handle these things , any idea who i should contact ????? At&t should be ashamed for letting these people sully their reputation !!!!! SMH  but not giving up !!!!! 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

I received a promotion letter of a $150 reward card for signing a 12 month contract with U-verse cable, plus a $100 reward card if I sign up online. I did so and the system offered me $10 more for signing up for paperless. I did so and the total of my reward was $260.
Like to many other customers’ complaint about, I did not receive that. I call them and they sent me a $150 reward card only. I called them again with their letter on my hand of the $100 dollar promotion for doing the contract online, and they told me that "unfortunately" it is expired now, that I was the first person claiming for that, and that they never have this problem before...
Also my bill went up double. Because I increased my channel package, they discontinued my discounts. But When I signed up, they said that I would not be penalized if I go up in the package. And I'm charged for this $100 reward card that I never got on my bill, which I have to check online because they got me as a paperless customer, but I never got the reward for that either.
I complained to be tide on a contract without the benefits promised by AT&T and they told me to call the customer care department, the 2020 number that rings somewhere else in the world and make you go through long waits with no solutions.
I called this number many times and there is no help.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.