For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
Georgejudson49's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, April 20th, 2015 1:12 PM

High speed U-Verse internet equipment fee

Hello, I recently just noticed on my bill a equipment fee and when I purchased the services I bought the modem for $100 extra thinking I would save money. I just last night decided to up my speed and saw the equipment fee that I didn't even know I was paying. So my question is can I get my back from all the months I paid and or get that fee waived off my bill?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Ok and yes I was getting charged the equipment fee prior to upgrading. So due to me upgrading I'll get charged the fee I don't see how that constitutes as a new Install but ok.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@Georgejudson49 wrote:
Ok and yes I was getting charged the equipment fee prior to upgrading. So due to me upgrading I'll get charged the fee I don't see how that constitutes as a new Install but ok.

Here's the info from TOS:

a. Additional Equipment Information for AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet Customers. AT&T will make available to you certain equipment (including a modem/gateway, or Optical Network Terminal ("ONT"), all of which is herein collectively referred to as "U-verse Equipment"), required for your Service. If you have not purchased U-verse Equipment from AT&T or if previously purchased U-verse Equipment is beyond the one (1) year warranty period (from date of installation) and requires replacement then you agree to pay a monthly equipment fee for the U-verse Equipment, as part of your purchase of or continued use of the Service and/or other U-verse services. Equipment fee/Purchase options depend on the AT&T U-verse services you order and the installation options you choose

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB425806

Last sentence seems to be the 'gocha' moment, services you order. Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I recently chatted with a Technical Support rep online regarding video "buffering" of videos.  She suggested I possibly needed a new RG.  There was no mention that I would be charged an "equipment fee" for the new RG device.  I own my current equipment.  The new RG arrived and it was installed.  There was no difference.  I un-installed the new RG and re-installed my original RG.  I returned the new equipment.  Now, AT&T refuses to remove the $7 equipment fee from my bill.  How can I be charged an equipment fee on something I do not possess or use?  I did not change any of my U-Verse Internet Services.  I believe this constitutes "FRUAD" since I'm being charged for something I do not have, possess or use.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.3K Messages

9 years ago

@LegalFiction wrote:

I recently chatted with a Technical Support rep online regarding video "buffering" of videos.  She suggested I possibly needed a new RG.  There was no mention that I would be charged an "equipment fee" for the new RG device.  I own my current equipment.  The new RG arrived and it was installed.  There was no difference.  I un-installed the new RG and re-installed my original RG.  I returned the new equipment.  Now, AT&T refuses to remove the $7 equipment fee from my bill.  How can I be charged an equipment fee on something I do not possess or use?  I did not change any of my U-Verse Internet Services.  I believe this constitutes "FRUAD" since I'm being charged for something I do not have, possess or use.

AT&T changed its policy in January 2015 that all accounts must pay an equipment fee, except those that were grandfathered in.  To meet the grandfathered status, you must have (a) bought an RG from AT&T and (b) not changed your equipment.  When you ordered the new RG, you lost the grandfathered status.  You can't just get it back by returning that equipment.

You can try asking the people at this link if you have any recourse, but you're swimming uphill.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

The new RG was deceptively recommended.  Since the new RG did nothing to improve the video "buffering" issue, that makes the Technical Support Rep either a conartist or just grossly incompetent.  It has become rather obvious that AT&T is losing a lot of business and their aggressive tactics seem to prove it.  Since Cable Internet offers superior speed and performance and everyone except myself on my street has it, I guess it's time to move over to Cable and take advantage of their new customer deals.  Regarding the "grandfathering" statement, once again, the Tech Support rep deceptively ignored mentioning anything about it along with the equipment fee.  A jury of peers would easily rule in my favor.  I guess I'll try filing a consumer complaint with the correct authorties.  I would never recommend AT&T to anyone ever again after this deception.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I also paid $100 for equipment when I ordered u-verse several years ago.  They did not told me the new replacement equipement will be a lease.  now my new bill is $64 per mo. for 12Mbps.

Just order a 50Mbps internet for $34.99 from time warner.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.