Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get the myAT&T app
the1darknight's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Wednesday, July 25th, 2018 2:37 PM

Closed

Flooded Out, Power Off Nightmare -- Need Credit Help Since Services Can't Be Received When Power Off

I was flooded out of my apartment from water putting out a fire 2 floors above my apartment, and thus my power was cut off, so I need a credit for the days I *couldn't* receive U-verse TV & U-Verse Net service because the power was off, and the power stayed off.   

It's insult to injury that the multiple people on both the U-verse Chat and U-Verse people on the phone cannot help me.  I have already been lied to that the credit would be done, and that I would be contacted back by people on the phone, and all the people who gave me contact information for them when my new service was installed in my new apartment now will not answer their phone nor reply to emails.

Can anyone help me, please?

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

6 years ago

Frankly, from AT&T's point of view, it was not their fault you didn't have electricity.  They still had to provide the same infrastructure as if you did.  For TV, they'd have still been paying the TV providers while you didn't have service.  They will sometimes give credits as a gesture of good will, but recognize that you are asking them for a boon, not something they owe you.

Perhaps your renter's insurance can compensate you for your loss of use.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

6 years ago

Was there a failure in the AT&T equipment?  No, so AT&T bears no responsibility in your lack of service.

Last winter my power was out for 3 days but I didn't expect AT&T to give me any kind of credit because it was not their doing.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

This was from no fault of my own!

Apparently, facts doesn't matter to you -- I couldn't receive the service, and how would I be expected to know, especially after my life is turned upside-down, completely run-over and broken emotionally, that I need to call AT&T to terminate my service immediately!

The view taken defies logic.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

6 years ago

@the1darknight wrote:

This was from no fault of my own!

Apparently, facts doesn't matter to you -- I couldn't receive the service, and how would I be expected to know, especially after my life is turned upside-down, completely run-over and broken emotionally, that I need to call AT&T to terminate my service immediately!

The view taken defies logic.

It wasn't AT&T's fault either. 

How long have you been or will be out of your apartment? 

I would imagine that if your home was flooded and your possessions ruined*, a few days of credit ($5 a day) would be the least of your problems.

*That's why you should have renter's insurance.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

And it appears the respondents on this forum are not interested in running an HONEST business, where only services that could be received are the services that are paid for.

Depending on what your definition of the word "is" is, then you can twist the truth any way you like. 

DUMP on the guy who's been flooded out of his home!

Disgusting.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

6 years ago

So... let me take this to its illogical conclusion:

1) If you had Netflix, would you have expected them to refund your money for part of a month?

2) If you have a gym membership and you couldn't go for two weeks because you were sick, should the gym give you some of your monthly fee back?

3) If you have Amazon Prime, but don't buy anything for a month (or use the other perks), you think they should extend your subscription for free?

You could have used AT&T's Wi-Fi access points and the U-verse App on your smart phone during this period, those were still available to you as a customer.

EDIT:

Note as I said before, AT&T still had to pay their TV providers for your service, even though you couldn't watch it.  Why does it become their burden to bear that cost because your neighbor had a fire. 

Perhaps you should ask your neighbors insurance company to pay your AT&T bill for 2 weeks.  It would make more sense.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

6 years ago

This is a peer-to-peer forum...we are customers just like you.  All we can do is provide information whether it's what you want to hear or not.

The TRUTH is that you had a very unfortunate incident through no fault of your own that resulted in you being unable to utilize a service that you paid for.  It happens. 

So who's fault was this power outage?  The people upstairs?  The fire dept?  The electric company? Again, that is what INSURANCE is for...to cover any 'unforeseen' costs.

As I tell my own kids:  Life sucks and then you die. 

ETA:  High five to @JefferMC

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Skeeter, I hope you're proud of yourself.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

6 years ago

@the1darknight wrote:

Skeeter, I hope you're proud of yourself.

Very.   

As a mother (37 years), I have learned to speak the truth whether it hurts or not.   It's one of my many attributes.  Smiley Very Happy

I will say to you the same thing I would say to one of my grown kids: 

"I know, sweetie.  This is a PITA.  But stuff happens and you have to put on your big girl/boy britches and deal with it.  No, it wasn't your fault but it wasn't AT&T's fault either. 

Now, suck it up, buttercup and do what you have to do. If that means you have to pay your bill so it doesn't get behind...pay your bill.  If that means you have to replace your belongings...go to the thrift store.  If you have to replace the groceries in the fridge that got ruined...go to the store. 

No one is going to take care of you but you."

As you can see, I was (and still am) a no nonsense momma but my kids are happy, healthy and very successful. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

You have nothing on me.  Don't claim you're "better than me," because you're not.

{keep it courteous}

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.