Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get the myAT&T app
kimbav's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Friday, August 7th, 2015 4:20 PM

$7 internet equipment fee for service I have had for YEARS

I had trouble with my underground line and it took 7 techs and 4 months to come out and FINALLY fix it.  I had no phone on and off and the internet was dropping.  Uverse came out and gave me a new modem I didn't ask for and left.  My problem was not fixed as it was the line all along.   He didn't tell me that I was going to be charged $7.00 plus tax a month for the new modem.  I feel like I am being ripped off for a modem I didn't need, my old modem was just fine, now I am being charged a fee for something I paid for A LONG time ago when I got the service in the first place.  3 chats and 1 phone call later for over an hour.  AT&T told me there was nothing they could do to remove that $7 a month fee, I was going to be charged it for as long as I had their internet but they gave me $15 my bill for a year that would cover the $7.  They didn't tell me I could go buy my own modem either.  I feel duped by AT&T because of their faulty line, I am having all this aggravation and now I have to pay for this modem when I had a perfectly good modem.  I should have been grandfathered in but they said that doesn't exist, everyone has to pay it moving forward.  My modem is going to cost who knows how much money moving forward while I have their service!  TIME TO LEAVE at&t internet!!!!!  

Guru

• 

638 Messages

9 years ago

Now you're like the rest of us who lease out the gateway for a fee. Just be glad you got away with it for that long. Any tech visit risks an RG changeout and subsequent fee if you've never been paying it. As a consolation, if you received the newest model, you now have wireless N capability.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

9 years ago

It is true that if you have any change in your service, you can lose any discounts you might have had.  I find it hard to believe that they were giving you a modem free for life.  Never heard of that one.

Second point:  "They didn't tell me I could go buy my own modem either."  That's because you can't.  As of Jan. 2015 all equipment is ATT owned and leased.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

I know it sucks!  it went from a lets come to your house and take a look at what your internet is doing to a guy coming, changing my modem, not telling me about the fee and leaving.  

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

I got my AT&T service sooooo long ago, I have been in my house for 21 years.  I never paid for the modem, it was a promotion for new customers way back when., and I have never been charged an equipment fee for AT&T.  I would rather pay for my own modem and replace it if it breaks.  $7.00 a month forever is just stupid!  like Directv, you pay a lot of money for service then they charge you a lease fee for the boxes.  After 2 years the box becomes yours and you can keep it but they still keep charging you the fee.  

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

9 years ago

@kimbav wrote:

I got my AT&T service sooooo long ago, I have been in my house for 21 years.  I never paid for the modem, it was a promotion for new customers way back when., and I have never been charged an equipment fee for AT&T.  I would rather pay for my own modem and replace it if it breaks.  $7.00 a month forever is just stupid!  like Directv, you pay a lot of money for service then they charge you a lease fee for the boxes.  After 2 years the box becomes yours and you can keep it but they still keep charging you the fee.  

You have not had Uverse for 21 years.  It hasn't been around that long.  9-10 years MAYBE but not 21.  Did you have DSL before Uverse?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

yes, I should have specified that, I had dsl first then they switched me over to uverse and got rid of the dsl in my area.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

9 years ago

@kimbav wrote:

yes, I should have specified that, I had dsl first then they switched me over to uverse and got rid of the dsl in my area.

This is a peer to peer (customer to customer) forum.  If you really feel duped, I would recommend that you send a private message to the escalation team at AT&T Customer Care, and someone will get in touch with you.  They may not resolve it to your satisfaction but that avenue might get you some help.  There are great people on here, with great advice but we really can't "make it right" for you, in terms of credits and such.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

thanks for the tip!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.