We recognize and honor military, veterans and their families. Get 25% off our best unlimited plans.
The best prices for our Military families
Abouttoleaveee's profile

3 Messages

Tuesday, November 28th, 2023 4:38 PM

Veterans Discount and Trade-in Promotion issues

Hello,

I'm hoping that I can get some help here as I have gone in-store, online chatted, and called with no resolution. It seems as though my problem consistently stumps AT&T associates and it is extremely frustrating that I have to explain my issues, which were promised to be resolved by other associates, every month. 

I just want answers on why our military appreciation discount is not applied when we were told and have receipt of an AT&T associate telling me it would be, why our trade-in value has not been applied, and why do I have to go on a wild goose chase for answers. 

First, we just got our AT&T plan 3 months ago (September 23rd) in-store with a representative. My husband is a Veteran and we were enrolled for the military appreciation promotion right off the bat. We asked multiple times if my husband had to be the primary on the account and we were assured that NO he did not need to be the primary, he just needed to be on the account. I was enrolled as the primary, and my husband was on the account since we got two lines. 

Also at the time, we traded in our phones with assurances that we would get credit in 1-2 billing cycles and that we would only have to do a few payments on one of the phones when the trade-in value was applied. My husbands phone would be completely paid off, and mine would only have about 100-200 dollars to pay off. 

Fast forward to our issues: 

First, our billing cycles for some extra information. Our first billing cycle was Sep 24-Oct 23rd, second was Oct 24-Nov 23, third was Nov 24-Dec 23 and is the current issue. 

We were denied three times for the military appreciation discount. I called AT&T customer service multiple times, went in store to talk to someone in person, I included each time that my husband was not the primary and asked if that was the reason we were denied, and was assured no, it is not why we are getting denied. The associates would tell us it was just a glitch in the system, and to enroll again or that more documentation was probably needed. When you enroll, you submit documentation and then get told to wait a 14-day period but within that 14 day period, on our account, it would show that we had the discount applied to our account. I would call AT&T, ask if anything further was needed, if we were approved, and I would get assured that Yes, we have the discount and nothing further would need to be done. Then we would get denied 14 days later. Then my husband would re-enroll, we would wait two weeks after submitting the appropriate documentation, get denied again and prompted to re-enroll but no one could explain why we were being denied. It didn't make sense. Then on one of the times of being denied, we got another email simply saying the names didn't match. We assumed perhaps it was just another glitch in the system, brought it up when we talked to associates, and were told to just re-enroll again but it should go through since my husband is on the account.

After the second billing cycle (30 days since enrolling- our first bill was about a week after we enrolled due to the billing period) (and third time getting denied for the discount), I found through reddit threads that the veteran DOES have to be the primary. I reached out to AT&T via the online chat (Chat Ref ID: I-0138533073) and explained for the nth time our issues and my frustration. They told us no, the veteran does NOT need to be the primary and that's not why we were having the issues. I argued with them and after some time, the associate told me that the veteran DOES need to be the primary. FINALLY! An Answer! 

However, you cannot switch the primary person on an account for 60 days after opening an account. 

So after talking, the associate (still the same conversation of chat ref ID: I-0138533073) told me that she would apply the discount to our bill and for the next bill as well since we wouldn't be able to switch the primary until 60 days. She gave me the reference and told me if I had any trouble, chat with AT&T online again, give the reference number, and they will apply the discount for the interim time while we waited for the 60 day limit to switch the primary. Then by the next billing cycle, my husband would be the primary so it would automatically apply. 

So currently, our bill was published on November 23rd for 202 dollars. It doesn't have the discount and is incorrect. On November 25th, we went in store, switched my husband to the primary, and was told his discount would apply the next billing cycle- which was fine because I was told by the associate referenced above that this billing cycle was covered with her reference ID. 

However, when we switched, it closed my account where I was the primary and opened a new account with him as the primary. I thought it would just merge the two but we weren't told anything other than he was the primary on the account now when we were in store. 

So today, November 28th, I online chat an associate, explain my whole situation, give the reference ID for the chat with our promise of a discount, and she denies my discount. She also says that I do not have a bill due at all on her end. But on my end, I am physically looking at my bill for my account where I am the primary. The account where my husband is the primary has a $0 bill. I am just so confused. 

ONTOP OF ALL OF THAT, our trade-in value for our phones has STILL not been applied. We are due 183.36 in charges we were not supposed to pay that I was told over the phone by ANOTHER associate that it would be credited back in 1-2 billing cycles. We're on our third bill now with no credit of that money. 

Help, please. I'm about to leave AT&T over this, I am overly frustrated. 

Former Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

5 months ago

Monthly phone promo credits are spread out over 36 months if eligible. And yes, your husband has to be the primary. Also, this is a customer based forum not a way to reach AT&T. 

3 Messages

5 months ago

I'm more of looking to see if anyone else has experienced these issues and found resolution. Or what avenue to find resolution with these specific issues. Thank you for your response. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

5 months ago

I can't imagine why they said that because it's it's cell phone stuff 101:

The account owner has to be the one who is eligible for discounts.. The only exception is active duty military. Active duty military accounts can be in the name of the military service person, or their legal spouse to receive discount.

Promotions in September should take 2- 3 months to apply ... So approx November 23 or December 23rd bill. 

If you made your purchase and trade in at a store you should have a physical receipt for your trade-in phones.   Yes ?  Don't lose it.

I'm not sure what else is going on and there's a whole lot of stuff that I'm just not going to read because it only complicates what is a very simple situation. Somebody screwed it up and regular customer support doesn't know how to fix it. So you should stop talking to them

File a better Business bureau complaint online. These complaints are simple four minutes forwarded back to AT&T upper Management. Someone from upper management will contact you, either email or by phone. Please have your dates corrected when you speak to them because you have referred to starting a plan in September but then you refer to stuff in August which doesn't sound right

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

5 months ago

In case you need to see it in writing:

MILITARY & VETERAN: Eligibility: 
Requires proof of eligibility & subj. to annual recertification. Avail. to: (i) active U.S. military service personnel providing a paystub from w/in 90 days; (ii) U.S. military veterans providing either a Department of Defense (DOD) Form DD214 indicating honorable discharge, a DOD form NGB 22/22A, or veteran designated driver’s license where applicable; and (iii) qualified spouses or surviving spouse of active duty U.S. military service personnel providing a paystub from w/in 90 days and proof of marriage (e.g. marriage certificate). Spouses and surviving spouse of Veterans are not eligible. Offer available only in select locations/channels. Customers accepting offer certify they are permitted to under applicable law. Customers on certain offers may not be eligible. Eligibility is subject to annual recertifications for Military discount offers. Other restr's may apply. 25% off Wireless service discount: Req's eligible AT&T Unlimited plan. Discount applied after any available Autopay, and paperless bill discounts. Start w/in 3 bill cycles after service activation & eligibility confirmed. Limits: No limits on the number of discounted lines on military wireless account.

MILITARY DISCOUNT

3 Messages

5 months ago

@formerlyknownas  You are right about the dates, that was my mistake. 

I meant to put 

"So currently, our bill was published on NOVEMBER 23rd for 202 dollars. It doesn't have the discount and is incorrect. On NOVEMBER 25th, we went in store, switched my husband to the primary, and was told his discount would apply the next billing cycle- which was fine because I was told by the associate referenced above that this billing cycle was covered with her reference ID. 

So today, NOVEMBER 28th, I online chat an associate, explain my whole situation, give the reference ID for the chat with our promise of a discount, and she denies my discount. She also says that I do not have a bill due at all on her end. But on my end, I am physically looking at my bill for my account where I am the primary. The account where my husband is the primary has a $0 bill. I am just so confused. "

I have now edited the post to reflect the correct dates.

Thank you for your advice, it is greatly appreciated! I will be following up with BBB. I absolutely have the receipts from the phones we turned in, what do I need to do with this? Thank you again!

(edited)

Former Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

5 months ago

Just keep the receipt. Nobody here needs it. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

5 months ago

Just file the complaint and wait till someone contacts you from AT&T. They'll give you the opportunity to submit your receipts. Most likely everything is fine in that department, credits usually start in two to three bills which could be next month.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.