For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
Yet7gn's profile

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

Sunday, November 19th, 2017 3:54 AM

Which Samsung S7 Edge should I buy? SM-G935F, SM-G935FD, or SM-G935A?

My family is currently on ATT Prepaid Multiline. My husband needs a different used phone and has decided on a Galaxy S7 Edge. I am wondering which model would be best for him, considering first that we are on the ATT Prepaid plan, next that we might eventually travel overseas, third, that we like to backpack, and fourth that we would like to be able to switch carriers later if needed. First priority, though, is that we have the bands we need most here at home on ATT prepaid, especially since we are in a mountainous area with spotty coverage on some phones and in some areas.

I tried to find something that told me which bands are on each model, but I couldn't find anything.

He is a programmer and might like to put an app he's developing on the phone, as well as other common simple apps like weather. But, he's not a game player or game developer or anything. He probably would mostly use it for texting, calls, video conferencing like Skype, maps, etc. 

We backpack and we might travel overseas in a couple years and want to be able to switch carriers as necessary without a hassle, but if we have to buy a different phone later for that because one phone is better for our immediate use, then that's what we would have to do.

Which model would be best for him? I'm wondering if it would be the SM-G935 F (global), FD (dual sim global), or A (ATT).

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

6 years ago

Can you tell me if there are features that would be missing on the prepaid plan if we don't get an ATT-branded Edge? Or, are there important bands missing on the SM-G935F or FD that are on the SM-G935A?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Yet7gn

@Yet7gn wrote:

My family is currently on ATT Prepaid Multiline. My husband needs a different used phone and has decided on a Galaxy S7 Edge. I am wondering which model would be best for him, considering first that we are on the ATT Prepaid plan, next that we might eventually travel overseas, third, that we like to backpack, and fourth that we would like to be able to switch carriers later if needed. First priority, though, is that we have the bands we need most here at home on ATT prepaid, especially since we are in a mountainous area with spotty coverage on some phones and in some areas.

If switching carrier might include Verizon or sprint, you need the ‘U’ model made unlocked for the USA, but is unlocked for any carrier.  No other will have CDMA bands.  

I tried to find something that told me which bands are on each model, but I couldn't find anything.

Google is your friend here, please look up more than one source as they may not be accurate.   https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s7_edge-7945.php

He is a programmer and might like to put an app he's developing on the phone, as well as other common simple apps like weather. But, he's not a game player or game developer or anything. He probably would mostly use it for texting, calls, video conferencing like Skype, maps, etc. 

Then he might want to avoid Samsung.  They are all boot locked and signed.  If he wants a phone to play with, nextbit robin is $150 off Amazon and welcomes rooting.

We backpack and we might travel overseas in a couple years and want to be able to switch carriers as necessary without a hassle, but if we have to buy a different phone later for that because one phone is better for our immediate use, then that's what we would have to do.

Carrier branded phones don’t update unless you are using the carrier for service.  Big drawback if you buy an ATT brand,

Which model would be best for him? I'm wondering if it would be the SM-G935 F (global), FD (dual sim global), or A (ATT).

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Yet7gn wrote:

Can you tell me if there are features that would be missing on the prepaid plan if we don't get an ATT-branded Edge? Or, are there important bands missing on the SM-G935F or FD that are on the SM-G935A?

The features would be missing because you use prepaid for even an ATT branded phone.  At this time Wifi calling is only available to postpaid, ATT branded android phones.  

HD voice is also not available, but you may not miss it.  

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

6 years ago

@lizdance40 

I was told the Verizon models were unlocked always, so that was the way to go so they wouldn't lock to a carrier again each time I joined a carrier.

But you are saying if I get a Verizon branded phone, something won't update if I am on ATT. What is it that won't update? The operating system?

Also, for the Samsung Galaxy S7, there is the model G930F that is called unlocked, but I thought it was the European or Global one. Would that work as good as the G930U?

I'm asking because it's not as easy to find a used unlocked phone, and they tend to be higher priced.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Yet7gn

The ins and outs of the models are more @GLIMMERMAN76  bailiwick.   Verizon would be unlocked, but because it’s branded, MMS and hotspot are unlikely to work on another carrier and it still has some bloat.  Each model will have some drawback.  I don’t know them all, he might.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

Get the 935f and call it a day

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

6 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76

So, you think I should get the global version (F) versus the factory unlocked (U). Are there any differences between the 2? Do they have the same bands on the global versus the factory unlocked?

If he chooses the Samsung Galaxy S7 instead of the Edge, would he then want the G930F instead of the G930U?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

You said you were going back overseas so that's why I suggested the 935f since it has a exynos processor and not a snapdragon.  

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

6 years ago

My husband does not have immediate plans to go overseas. That will be a possibility in a couple years. Right now, we have mountainous terrain and want to be able to backpack with as good a reception as possible. If we can do all the same things on the f and the u and get the same good reception, but getting the f means we also have the benefit of going overseas, then that is what he would want. But, if he loses anything in going with the f while he is here in the U.S. and with prepaid ATT, then we would go with the u. So, I'm asking if he would lose anything while here and for regular use.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Yet7gn wrote:

My husband does not have immediate plans to go overseas. That will be a possibility in a couple years. Right now, we have mountainous terrain and want to be able to backpack with as good a reception as possible. If we can do all the same things on the f and the u and get the same good reception, but getting the f means we also have the benefit of going overseas, then that is what he would want. But, if he loses anything in going with the f while he is here in the U.S. and with prepaid ATT, then we would go with the u. So, I'm asking if he would lose anything while here and for regular use.

If you’re traveling into wilderness areas in the US, you may need Verizon and a better antenna than most carrier phones offer.  To me that says a google phone.  6p or Pixel.  

So many variables, it’s not easy to pick one phone.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.