Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
Scarabeye's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Thursday, June 7th, 2018 9:55 PM

Just found out my Samsung S8+ has a counterfeit screen

So I work for a government agency and happened to go to a Samsung facility so i figured I'd ask them about the strange anomaly on the screen of my Samsung S8+. I bought my phone the first day they came out but the mic broke and sent it in while still under warranty and it was replaced with the one I currently have. The anomaly was on the from the day i got it but i was told i would have to pay the insurance deductible if i wanted to replace it again. So i said no. Well, now i come to find it,  from Samsung, that the screen is a counterfeit. I go to the ATT store and told them and the first question was, "Who told you that?" Well Samsung.  They then asked, "What do you want us to do about it? " if course i asked if it could be replaced since ATT gave me a refurb with a counterfeit screen and I was told I'd have to pay for a new phone. Why when ATT gave me a basically counterfeit phone? My screen is wearing in places and the touchscreen doesn't work properly because it has a counterfeit screen. Why should i pay for something that is clearly the fault of ATT? Also i asked who did ATT's refurbs as they are clearly in violation of the law and my agency would investigate but i was toldby the rep that the refurbs come from various sources and the was no way to know who provided my screen. I guess buyer beware of ATT insurance claims. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

6 years ago

https://protectioncenter.att.com/attmdpp/en/protection-plans.html

“Newly launched device models may not be eligible for screen repair. Visit phoneclaim.com/att to check current eligibility. Same day repair option depends upon claim approval time and technician availability. Repairs are performed by an Asurion-certified technician and come with a 12-month warranty. Repairs may use new or refurbished parts; may contain original or non-original manufacturer parts; and may void the manufacturer warranty. Declining deductibles not applicable to screen repair and selecting screen repair option will not impact customer's declining deductible eligibility. Some colors of eligible devices are not covered. Eligible devices and available areas are both subject to change at any time.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

(Edited) See included image...

20180607_075035.jpg

20180607_075035.jpg

1 Attachment

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

6 years ago

@Scarabeye  You got a refurbished phone or a replacement screen.  It’s after market, not “counterfeit”.    This is SOP if you deal with Asurion or Samsung.  If you wanted an OEM repair, you would have to purchase Samsung’s protection and send your phone to them. 

ATT doesn’t repair phones.  They are supplied with refurbished phones per Samsung’s repair services, which are probably local.  

Your replacement was under warranty for a full year.  Which has gone by

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

What the does that mean? So basically you condone the use of counterfeit screens and illegal business practices? Maybe you should di a better job of being who Asurion uses to repair YOUR products.  We seize thousands of counterfeits coming to Amazon every day.  Guess we should start looking at ATT as well? Good thing Samsung takes care of its customers. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

What the does that mean? So basically you condone the use of counterfeit screens and illegal business practices? Maybe you should di a better job of being who Asurion uses to repair YOUR products.  We seize thousands of counterfeits coming to Amazon every day.  Guess we should stay looking at your company as well? Actually it's NOT standard practice of Samsung since i actually went to their facility. It's a good thing Samsung takes care of its customers. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

Assurion will use any parts they can get their hands on for repairs.  It's not like it does not say that in the terms and conditions...  I have yet to see a counterfeit screen.  Non OEM screen yes.  

• 

25.7K Messages

6 years ago

So basically you condone the use of counterfeit screens and illegal business practices

What law was broken exactly?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

6 years ago

@Scarabeye wrote:

What the does that mean? So basically you condone the use of counterfeit screens and illegal business practices? Maybe you should di a better job of being who Asurion uses to repair YOUR products.  We seize thousands of counterfeits coming to Amazon every day.  Guess we should start looking at ATT as well? Good thing Samsung takes care of its customers. 

Guess you should have read the insurance policy.  Nothing inappropriate or illegal was done.  

AT&T does not repair phones.

Asurion is NOT owned by ATT, or Verizon, Sprint, T-mobile, C Spire, etc.  it is the ONLY full coverage mobile insurance provider and ALL CARRIERS use Asurion.  

Your phone is NOT an ATT product.  

If you want a Samsung screen, you should have sent the phone to Samsung for repair.  

Counterfeit would be product claiming to be genuine.  Since Asurion never claimed all repairs are made with OEM parts, there is no validity to your complaint.  

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Well Liz, do you work for ATT or Asurion? I went to Samsung today and spoke directly to the director of basically import security and they only connect with repair companies that agree to use only authentic Samsung parts to repair their phones so your claim that "OEM" "after market"parts are allowed is not true. Sorry but as one who enforces the importation laws of the US, I'll be the first to tell you maybe you should do your homework.  Samsung does not condone using non Samsung parts. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

6 years ago

@Scarabeye

none of us work for ATT or Asurion or Samsung for that matter.  

You wrote “I went to Samsung today and spoke directly to the director of basically import security and they only connect with repair companies that agree to use only authentic Samsung parts to repair their phones so your claim that "OEM" "after market"parts are allowed is not true.

You want to explain how you figure?   

Samsung did not contract Asurion as a repair vendor, you did when you took out insurance through a US carrier.  The terms of which did not guarantee OEM parts.  

The only way you get a Samsung authorized repair is to send to Samsung. 

You could have paid full cost to ship to Samsung and back, Be without a phone for weeks, and got a Samsung approved screen.  

Since you did not, you got a repair with asurions warning that is might void warranty and may not be OEM parts.   

FYI if you take your car to any place other than the dealership, you don’t get genuine approved parts, oil, etc.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.