For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
summest's profile

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

Friday, July 11th, 2014 3:41 AM

Galaxy S4 worked fine but now it occasionally can't call out or receive calls

I have had and enjoyed my S4 for over a year now and all of a sudden I am experiencing this odd issue.  The phone appears to work fine but when I go to make a phone call, it doesn't dial out.  I select a contact and press the phone icon.  It appears to call out with the animated phone virtually ringing but I get no connect tone or dialing tone in the head set.  It just sits there.  I tried calling multiple numbers and still the same lack of dialing out.  I found that if I remove the battery and try again, it works for quite a while.  So far this has happened 5 times in the last month and a half.  When the phone is in this defunct state, I cannot receive calls as well.  It goes straight to voice mail with no indication on the S4. 

Once I was in the middle of a conversation and the line dropped.  I tried calling back, while driving with bluetooth and found the same non-response.  The other party tried to call me and they went to voice mail.  Once I stopped the car, I removed and replaced the battery and I was able to reconnect to my party.

Unfortunately, I need a phone that works when someone calls me.  I want to respond to family emergencies or work issues when I am on call.  There is nothing that indicates the phone is not receiving calls or allows to send calls.  I haven't noticed with text messages.

I talked my parents into buying a Galaxy S4 because I liked mine.  They got a super deal on the S4 active.  Today my Dad called me and told me he had the same problem on his new phone.  We are both using AT&T phones. 

If I had to technically guess, I would think the last update was not all that great.  I am on 4.4.2.  Maybe when 4.4.3 comes out I will have a phone that works better, or then maybe not.

I jumped from Motorola to Samsung thinking it was a better phone, but now I wonder.  Although, if it is not the phone, maybe it's KitKat 4.4.2?  Other friends with non AT&T haven't seen this issue and they are also on 4.4.2.

I was working online with tech support and got virtually no where.  They are going to send out a SIM card so I can use ISIS (Or whatever the new name is) so maybe that is shot in a dark that will fix it.  Since the problem is so intermittent, I feel the problem is elsewhere.

Please let me know if you have any solutions and/or experienced the same.

Summest.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Since the last update, I've been experiencing similar...my phone will randomly stop sending or receiving calls or texts. If I rebo to the phone, it works again, but I don't know it's not working until I try to do something. 

I've gotten a new SIM card, no help. I just did a factory reset two days ago, no help. Not sure what else to do. From what I've read online...not much to do. 

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

10 years ago

That's a bummer.  I was hoping the SIM card would magically fix the issue.Smiley Sad

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Sadly this has been happening to me since I received my first GS4 Active.  This happens intermittently maybe 4-5 times a week.  The "band aid" solution is to turn my phone on and off.  The problem is there's no notification if your phone is "out."  It's not till I realize that I haven't received a phone call or text, or my outgoing text or call gets hung up.

I've been to AT&T's repair center and they said "there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with my phone, since they can't replicate the problem."  All they did was factory reset and give me a new SIM card.  Trying to run over to the AT&T repair center when my phone is "out" is not very practical to do.

The technician also told me he has never heard of this problem.  I find that very hard to believe. We're not the only ones experiencing this.  Both Galaxy S4 and S4 Active customers have been getting this problem. 

Unfortunately, I think we're screwed.  I'm leaving AT&T once the whole family is off of contract.

For reference, I've had 2 Galaxy S4 Actives and this problem happened to both phones for the last 1 1/2 years.

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

10 years ago

Yeah.  I think I may try another provider as well.  AT&T says they will call and get back to me but they never do.  I have given up any hope.  Where are you defecting to? Smiley Happy

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

It is not the provider!

I don't live in the US but i have the S4 galaxy. It just happened to my phone as well and  searching the problem i saw your comment. i have the same problem and my provider is not AT&T as we don't have them here. i re-started my phone and it works fine so i guess i have to wait for the second time for it to happen. i hope not. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.