Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Troubleshoot your device issues
F

• 

10 Messages

Thursday, July 22nd, 2021 3:32 PM

Transfer of contact list from one phone to another

Due to a system change in Feb. 2022 my old flip will not work any longer.  I received a new phone from AT&T and am unable to transfer my contact list from the old phone to the new phone due to a difference in the Sims card model and size.  I have contacted customer service numerous time as well as checking their website for instructions and visited a store.  There is no information pertaining to this on the website.  The store personal tells me that they don't have the machine that does this anymore and hasn't had it in many years.  After numerous calls to customer service and the representative stating that it can be done but they don't know how to achieve this I was transferred to the next level for assistance.  I then got either hung up on or transferred to a totally different department.  I finally reached a supervisor who stated that each contact would have to be done one by one.  I find it extremely hard to believe that AT&T would put in this network without researching how to transfer everything from the old phone to the new phone without having to do it individually.  Reaching corporate office is impossible.  The telephone number listed only transfers to the customer service department.  As of now I have been holding on the telephone (customer service) for approximately 1 hour waiting for an available supervisor to make a complaint. I am a senior, retired, have been an AT &T customer for over 30 years and only have a flip phone which is used strictly for emergencies while on the road traveling.  Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated. 

• 

10 Messages

3 years ago

Saw a couple of comments from Apo1111; however when checking there was no response to my question

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

3 years ago

They are right you have to type them in one contact at a time.  You maybe able to save them to a sim card but the new phone has to allow a restore from sim card.

This is the price people are paying because they kept old flip phones.

• 

10 Messages

3 years ago

That is exactly the problem. The Sim card in the old phone is different than the Sim card in the new phone.  They really didn't think this out when they decided to change the network.  A way to transfer all contacts should have been made. Thanks for your assistance. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

3 years ago

They did think it thru..  Its just your in the 3% of people still using old phones.  They are worried about the 97%.  Even if all 3% left its a acceptable loss for any company ATT's size.

• 

10 Messages

3 years ago

Well I appreciate your input but I really don't need to be criticized for my choice of phones.  I don't use a cell phone enough to warrant the expense of an Iphone or Smart Phone.  I use it strictly in my car when traveling on the road to visit friends and for emergency use only.  If the don't want folks using flip phones then they should stop making them and stop sending them to senior retired folks.  Again thank you for you assistance.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

3 years ago

You aren’t being criticized for using an old phone. Your just getting the honest truth that there aren’t enough users of those old phones to worry about it. That’s not a criticism of you, you shouldn’t take it as such.

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

Nope! You do not have to type them one contact at a time, so I hope you have not followed this advice yet. I had the same problem and there is 100% a way to copy them.

First, copy all your contacts onto your phone device memory. Then what you want to do is pick up a SIM adapter, one of these guys: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QQJ7YYE/

When you get it, pop your nanosim card out of your new phone that you received and put it into the little adapter chip that is shaped like your original standard sim card, and then put that entire piece in your old phone. What this does is essentially create a supplementary standard sim shape in order to fit into your old device and read the new chip.

After you've done that, use your old phone normally to copy your contacts onto sim. Your contacts will now all live in the nanosim. When you're done, take out the sim adapter, pop your nanosim out of the adapter and put it in your new phone. Your contacts are copied. No need to hand-type 100 contacts!

(edited)

• 

10 Messages

3 years ago

Thank you very much.  I will try that. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

3 years ago

Or go-to the store and get a new sim.  They are one size now you just break off the size you need.  Till he mintioned the sim adapter it did not click.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.