Let AT&T help you elebrate your dad with Father's Day Gifts that connect us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
Giray's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Sunday, July 11th, 2021 11:33 AM

Sonim XP3 and 3G sunset

Confused. ATT told me that my phone will no longer work after Feb 22. I got sent a Cingular IV. Activated it. Find out there is no hotspot. Then, as I'm doing my research, I come across this official list: https://www.att.com/idpassets/images/support/wireless/Devices-Working-on-ATT-Network.pdf which clearly states that the Sonim XP3 WILL WORK after the shutdown.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35.8K Messages

3 years ago

That may be your issue.  AT&T publishes two lists of supported devices.   One is for branded devices, includes tablets, wearables and hotspots and lists the XP3800.  The other is for unlocked devices (BYOD) and doesn't list any hotspots at this time.  Whether that is because no unlocked hotspots are allowed, or they don't publish a list, I'm not really sure.

AT&T currently says (at https://www.att.com/wireless/byod/):

How does BYOD work? You can bring over a network compatible, unlocked smartphone to use with your new plan, and you’ll need to order a SIM kit. Bring Your Own Device isn’t just for phones. You can also bring over wearables and tablets.

Wearables and tablets listed.  Hotspots conspicuous by the absence.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

35.8K Messages

3 years ago

Is your Sonim XP3 an AT&T-branded device?

What is the exact model number (e.g. XP5800)?

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply. No, it's not ATT branded. I had it given to me a couple of years ago. It's originally a Sprint, but obviously unlocked. Do you think that's the problem? Exact model, as per the inside tag: XP3800.

Thanks again.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

3 years ago

I have an additional thought. The problem with the hotspot was with the singular phone, but if the Sonim is on the list, which it is, and they accept it as an unlocked phone, and there is no reason for them to Sunset the Sonim and send me a new phone. Just weird.  

ACE - Sage

• 

118.2K Messages

3 years ago

@Giray

Here is the test you can do.  Next time you are on a phone call look at the top notification bar. If you see an H or an h plus you have dropped two 3-g for your voice call. That is the network that shutting down which means the phone will no longer work no later than February of 2022.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks, too late for that now because I’ve already transferred over to the new phone. However, I know from having already looked, when I was on a phone call with the Sonim it was on LTE. I think I’ll give AT&T a call tomorrow, and see about going back to the old phone and then just wait until February and see what happens then. Thanks again, so so much, for all your help.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.