For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
wfparker73's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, June 10th, 2014 7:26 PM

Porting from Straight Talk

I've tried switching my wife and I over from ST to AT&T and when I enter the number for each of us I receive the following:

AT&T already provides service for this number. Please see our "Support" section if you need assistance with upgrading your current phone or plan, or select "continue" if you would like to shop for a new line of service.

Obviously, being with straight talk I'm not with AT&T.  It's not a huge deal for me, but the wife would prefer staying with ST than losing her current number.  I've only seen one thread regarding this and the two major take-aways were 1.  Dmitriy (CM) said to ask in here and 2. someone was able to do it after days of finding a corporate store that could do it and even then only after the guy spent almost an hour on the phone.

My question, which you've probably guessed, is what's a hassle free way to get this done so the phones arrive ready to go with the correct numbers?  i.e. no store surfing, no hour long phone calls to someone that's using me as a training tool, etc.

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

When I said I'd only found one thread.....that's the one I was referring to.

I've read the information in there, but thank you for trying.

Employee

• 

156 Messages

10 years ago

Switching from straight talk can be tricky because it is technically run on att's network already, so the system eventually detects them as att. I know it can be done though. The easiest way will be heading to a store though, they will have to get on the phone with the port department and have them push it through, ( it usually gets caught up during the port process) there may be an easier way through customer care over the phone if they can get you in direct contact with the port team all you would need is att SIM cards witch are free at the store. But in the store has been the easiest method I've seen so far if you are going to get new phones.

Guru

• 

450 Messages

10 years ago

Hi wfparker73,

Straight Talk is as everyone one else has said a difficult one to port from. The best way is to go into a Company Owned retail store. You can speed up the process by contacting Straight Talk and getting your account number and any passcode on the acccount before visiting the store. 

To set proper expectations, I would set aside about an half hour for this process as the retail store will need to get in touch with our Porting Department to help complete the port. There is a workaround process that can be done, just takes a little bit of time 🙂

Hope This helps!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.