For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
D-R0CK's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Monday, December 9th, 2019 7:59 PM

Can't Unlock LG V-35. FCC complaint?

I purchased a brand new AT&T version LG V-35 online through amazon. I do not have service with AT&T and wish to use another network. I've gone through AT&T's online unlocking process via the IMEI and no matter what, I get an email 24 hrs after submitting the request that states that I didn't confirm the request. I have confirmed every request and have multiple screenshots from the AT&T website of those confirmations. Customer service and tech report have refused to assist. I have receipts to verify that the device is a new and legitimate purchase.

I'm worried that I'm going to have to file a consumer complaint with the FCC because AT&T is refusing to unlock this phone. What should I do?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

4 years ago

I realize this is closing the barn door after the horses escaped but;  if you didn’t intend to use it on AT&T why on earth did you buy an AT&T brand phone!  (Frustrated  tone).  
not only do you have to go through the annoyance of trying to get the phone unlocked, but it will not update unless you are using AT&T for service.  
   A possible reason you aren’t getting results is the IMEI is not registered in AT&T’s database, even if it were they would require a minimum of 14 days until the return period has expired.  

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

lizdance -

1. The AT&T phone uses the same bandwidths as my carrier
  2. Because it was cheaper
  3. There is no reason that I shouldn't be able to. The FCC standards in the CTIA consumer code is clear:

"Within two business days after receiving a request, carriers will unlock eligible mobile wireless devices or initiate a request to the OEM [Original Equipment Manufacturer] to unlock the eligible device, or provide an explanation of why the device does not qualify for unlocking, or why the carrier reasonably needs additional time to process the request."

In failing to complete this unlock, AT&T is in breach of these standards. I want to find a resolution but I'm increasingly feeling that going to the FCC to file a consumer complaint is the only way anybody will listen. I have been on the phone five times with a number of AT&T employees and have been disappointed over and over again. I was told I would receive a call back from a supervisor twice, and three days later I'm still waiting. Extremely disappointing.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

4 years ago

CTIA is voluntary not a requirement.

You fall into a grey area actually.  ATT usually will make you wait 14 days which is the return period.   but sometimes the phone do not get marked as sold on amazon if it not shipped and sold thru amazon.

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

4 years ago

im waiting for a response from @lizdance40 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

4 years ago

@D-R0CK wrote:

lizdance -

1. The AT&T phone uses the same bandwidths as my carrier.   So do lots of phones.
  2. Because it was cheaper. Gee, now you know why.  
  3. There is no reason that I shouldn't be able to. The FCC standards in the CTIA consumer code is clear:

"Within two business days after receiving a request, carriers will unlock eligible mobile wireless devices or initiate a request to the OEM [Original Equipment Manufacturer] to unlock the eligible device, or provide an explanation of why the device does not qualify for unlocking, or why the carrier reasonably needs additional time to process the request."

You’re skipping around.  12  (1) Disclosure. Each carrier will post on its website its clear, concise, and readily accessible policy on postpaid and prepaid mobile wireless device unlocking.   You buying it off amazon isn’t a qualification.  

In failing to complete this unlock, AT&T is in breach of these standards.  It’s voluntary.  And when you buy through a 3rd party, you take your chances.   You save a few bucks, and now have to deal with the hoops.  

I want to find a resolution but I'm increasingly feeling that going to the FCC to file a consumer complaint.  Go ahead. It’s fast and free

is the only way anybody will listen. I have been on the phone five times with a number of AT&T employees and have been disappointed over and over again. I was told I would receive a call back from a supervisor twice, and three days later I'm still waiting. Extremely disappointing.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.