For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
joniakiller's profile

3 Messages

Tuesday, April 23rd, 2024 8:54 AM

ADB over wireless

Hey i was wondering do you need root to do this any more? I want to install/run apps over wireless to stop all this cable switching. I have also read that it can cause some errors though? That was on old posts on this site, I was wondering is it reliable and easy to do now?

Accepted Solution

ACE - Guru

• 

1.2K Messages

10 days ago

Wireless ADB is possible without doing anything nefarious to your phone. Even on AT&T phones. I've used it occasionally on my AT&T phones with no problems.

Well, not the wireless option, but that option is there.

You do have to enable Developer Mode, which is possible on any Android device, including AT&T branded phones. It's one of the first things I do when I get a new phone, even my current S24+. There, you can find and enable "Wireless Debugging". You'll then likely have to pair the phone with the PC. You pair it on the phone, then use the "adb pair" command on the PC.

Do a search for "How to use wireless ADB on your Android phone" article on the Android Police site. It was updated just this past Feb.

The problems seem to come from not having a good Wi-Fi connection between the devices on the same Wi-Fi network. But if your Wi-Fi is good, there should be no problems.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

10 days ago

I'm surprised your post was not automatically edited, you've broached a subject which cannot be discussed here, any such discussion will cause your post to be redacted, and possibly excluded from this community forum. 

To dance around the subject, is it possible?  Probably not. AT&T branded phones are bootloader locked by the manufacturer. Anything after Android lollipop is also encrypted.  You most likely don't need to do anything to install an application. Whether or not it works 🤷🏼‍♀️. Who knows.

Since you'd have to have a pretty old phone, which may not work on the network at all to try it, good luck 

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

9 days ago

The only thing I want to add is the adb over Wi-Fi is only available on devices running Android 11 and later — which in 2024 should be a fairly safe bet ;). Also, the usual caveat emptor that if the phone's IP address changes you will have to reconnect.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 days ago

It sometime just randomly shuts off depending on the phone and OEM.  But other than that it does work.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.