Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Check for service outages
Mjrtom7's profile

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 6:57 PM

Closed

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

10 years ago

AT&T has a major problem in the Marquette area. I would guess that most people there are on Verizon. The service there is horrible. No LTE anywhere. 

The guy I was riding with was using Verizon in areas where I could get no service. I could not get a signal anywhere within a 50 miles distance east of Marquette all the way to the city. He was talking away on his Verizon device. 

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

That's not good. I imagine they are working on it so hopefully service will get restored soon. The nearest site that has LTE surprisingly is in Munising. You would think at least Marquette and Houghton/Hancock would have it by now.

Verizon has better service in the U.P. then what is depicted on their map. I don't know why AT&T is not in a hurry to get as many sites running HSPA+ and LTE in the U.P. as possible. They can match Verizon spectrum wise up there.

I did notice AT&T has activated B4 LTE (AWS) on more sites in the Saginaw area. Sites along 675 on the northbound Z bridge detour are running LTE on B17 and B4. They also appear to be running two LTE carriers on B17 and B2 in Flint, probably getting ready for carrier aggregation.

I will check the site in Lovells today to see if it has been upgraded.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

10 years ago

There are 3 panels on the tower. It likes they are positioned south,west and east. I went to Gwinn yesterday and passed the Lathrop tower, I did some speed tests and i was getting around 8-10 down and around 2 up. Here at my house I get a better signal now. I actually get service in my house. Oh and even though it shows it on the coverage map, Gwinn does NOT have 4G. Only E. I drove right by the tower in Gwinn and there are 2 sets of panels up on the tower there.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

Ok.....there is only one panel per sector on the Lathrop site which are spaced 120 degrees apart and given the speeds you mentioned, they are running HSPA+ w/Ethernet backhaul. That being said, it doesn't appear that AT&T will be launching LTE in the near future on it. Given that LTE will be deployed on 700 MHz, an additional panel will have to be installed which will be longer that the current one and also have an RRU installed behind it. Not to worry, AT&T's HSPA+ will stream any content you need to download so the internet should be lightning fast. Hopefully, speeds will be good for you at your house.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

10 years ago

Lathrop tower now has LTE!!!! Just went live tonight!

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

Wow. Nice! They must be using different panels than around here for them to deploy all layers of technology on that site.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

American Ninja... you mentioned that site has 3 panels. Is that per sector(3×3) or total(3×1)?

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

10 years ago

From what I can tell it has a total of 3 panels. If you can picture a triangle, it has one on each point.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

OK thanks for the info. This is the first AT&T site I have heard of that is only using 1 panel (per sector) to overlay UMTS, HSPA+, and LTE......basically 3G/4G technology. The Omni's are still used for GSM/Voice. All other sites I have seen, have at least 2 panels per sector (6 total). Very cool!

Hope the speeds are great at your house.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

10 years ago

American Ninja.......How is the LTE up therethere?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.