For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Check for service outages
opto_isolator's profile

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

Tuesday, January 20th, 2015 11:44 PM

Why is my LTE speed so very slow?

I'm really starting to regret going with AT&T as my wireless carrier! I work in a tech / college corridor, and used to get super fast LTE speeds while at work - upwards of 40 Mbs! Nowadays I can't even crack .5 Mbs!!! I've verified that it is not my phone, as I have another AT&T phone for work, and it gets the exact same speeds. I've tried to submit multiple tickets through the AT&T mark the spot app, but that does nothing. I've called and complained in the past, and that also does nothing. My signal strength is relatively good for LTE - about -100 db. But I can never crack more than 1 Mbs it seems.... Short of jumping ship once my wife's contact expires, I'm at my wits end as to what to do!

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

9 years ago

@opto_isolator wrote:
I'm really starting to regret going with AT&T as my wireless carrier! I work in a tech / college corridor...

Let's see, you work near a college and school is just starting up again.  My bet is that the network is jsut staurated with many moer new devices that haven't been there all summer, and their family and friends helping them move in.  Have you ever tried to use your cell phone around any major sporting event?  You would see the same thing there, when you suddenly cram 20,000 additional people into a small area, especially if many of them are new to the area and are using their maps to find their way around...

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

9 years ago

Actually, if you look at the date when this was written it was waaaay back
in January if this year. Not "just when school started." This had nothing
to do with the university. The speed of AT&T's network in Orlando in
general just plain sucks.

Professor

• 

827 Messages

9 years ago

I ended up leaving AT&T (not so much for the speed, but the cost - Canada roaming was killing me).

Now on AT&T, with my work phone, I'm still ~5Mbps down, and on my T-Mobile phone I'm between 60 and 90Mbps down.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Why is my phone internet is too slow
I can not even open google it's only one out of 5 is working please help me out with this issue I need to use my phone internet because I do not have a wifi in my apartment!! Thank you

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Try turning off LTE.  4G is stable with 5 signal dots.  My AT&T iphone 6 plus's LTE speed is less than 0.5 mbps up with 1 or 2 signal dots most of the time.  I called AT&T many times, but they don't want to help me.  I live in Seattle.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I have experienced the same thing. For the most part ATT's network has good coverage, but the signal strength seems to never corelate with the data speeds. I'm sitting here right now with 4 bars of LTE and getting slower than dial-up speeds. Thats the case more often than not. I think ATT's LTE network is overloaded in general. Your signal to the tower might be great, but there isn't enough bandwidth.

As a contrast, my iPad with a T-Mobile SIM card has 2 bars of 4G and its getting very fast speeds. I typically get 40Mbps on their LTE network. On ATT I'm lucky to get 10, more often than not its like 1-3. And sometimes its less than 1.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

well??  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

LTE service in Lexington, KY is becoming less and less reliable. Depending on where I am in town, I have to throttle the LTE on and off to 4g. It's becoming a larger problem that AT&T either needs to address or make amends for. I've been with the company since the Bellsouth and Cingular days, but the great reviews I'm getting from friends on other services is sounding very enticing.

Guru

• 

901 Messages

8 years ago

Well with some of the new bands that AT&T has acquired within the past few years and they are starting to use them (band 30 for example) you will need to get a newer device that supports them.  They lost a lot of spectrum when their buyout of T-Mobile fell through.  So now they have to buy more to replace what they lost.  They just spent $18B on new spectrum, but that won't be used for anther few years.  I live in so cal, at around 11:15 am and getting 40+ down and 18+ up.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I'm having the same problem. My service used to be great and it keeps getting slower and slower. I never turn on LTE because it is crap and I never get more than a bar. I live in northern San Diego too so there's no reason why my service shouldn't be top notch. My wife is complaining to me about it too and I don't know what to do at this point. I think it may be time to switch carriers. I have an iphone6 and she has the 5s. This is ridiculous. Not to mention my phone bill keeps creeping up from 180-220 dollars. It's happened 3 times now and that's not with late fees. I'm fed up with ATT the business as clearly going downhill and its time to get out. They acquired all these customers with contracts and pay as you go plans (next) and now they could care less about their signal quality. I've called numerous times about the LTE issue and supposedly it's being worked on. It seems like it has been for months and I'm not seeing any improvement. It's only a matter of time until I leave. I'm not going to pay 200 a month for service that's a joke. You're supposed to get what you pay for but in this case YOU DON'T.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.