Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
offshore000019's profile

1 Message

Tuesday, August 8th, 2023 5:39 PM

Closed

Offshore Gulf of Mexico - Prepaid AT&T

All the guys at work use ATT postpaid and get excellent data/service offshore in the Gulf of Mexico.

I bought a pre-paid eSIM and it worked great while we were in Port Fourchon. However, once we arrived at our work location offshore the data no longer worked. Although I still have 4 bars, and all my coworkers with postpaid ATT are streaming, I'm without any data connectivity.

I'm assuming the reason is pre-paid doesn't work offshore.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

9 months ago

FYI you may see AT&T or tampnet in your notification bar as the connected carrier. AT&T has a roaming agreement for rigs with tampnet and macrocells on the rigs provide the connection.

You may find that if you turn airplane mode on wait 10 seconds and turn it back off again your phone may reconnect.

If it still isn't working for prepaid you're going to have to switch to postpaid

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

9 months ago

You are correct.  You will have to migrate your number to postpaid the next time you are back in the United States on shore.  

The service you're getting is considered roaming service, and roaming for prepaid is more limited than postpaid. You should roam for free in Mexico.  But not off shore.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.