Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
letsgobolts87's profile

1 Message

Monday, September 18th, 2023 4:24 PM

Were you mistakenly told your plan had changed?

Has anyone gone through something similar?

I lost my free Max subscription all of a sudden.  I signed up originally with an unlimited phone plan + DirectTv Stream plan (over a few years ago) and was told I'd have free HBO (Max) for life. I've received no communication regarding my account changing, no promotion expiring until I received an email on 9/14 saying:

"You made changes to your AT&T wireless or broadband plan from one that included Max (formerly HBO Max) as a benefit and as a result, the Max benefit has changed. Effective 09/14/2023, you will no longer be eligible to receive the Max benefit.

No action is required. To make changes to your DIRECTV account visit directv.com.

If you have any questions about AT&T wireless or broadband account, please visit att.com.

Thank you.

DIRECTV STREAM Team"

So, you told me that I no longer had access on the day you canceled my subscription?  Please help me understand this communication logic.  

You also said "You made changes to your AT&T wireless or broadband plan from one that included Max (formerly HBO Max)" - That is completely false!  You even confirmed over the phone that no changes had been made to my plan.

As for your customer service, I kept being passed back and forth from AT&T to DirectTV saying it was each others' fault and how I should "talk to ___. i'm happy to transfer you...call this number..". 

I've spent way too much time trying to get this resolved, only to be told by AT&T that I do not qualify for Max. 

This is completely outrageous.  I was obviously given Max as an incentive to sign up for the phone and TV plans. 

This was an overall horrible experience.  AT&T - you lied to me and broke your promise of free Max for life by canceling my account with zero notice, nor explanation!

I'm confident I'm not the only customer who's gone through this! 

• 

3 Messages

5 months ago

I was actually just told no I don’t have it anymore. On my manage my plan screen, Max is listed as 0 dollars but was told I could not have that either. Direct stream customer service is just garbage and rude.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.5K Messages

5 months ago

@postonsc4  Then it appears that Max is starting to not honor the legacy AT&T accounts, which is their prerogative being as they are their own company now. 

3 Messages

5 months ago

So we’ve had a few back and forths with ATT.  At first (earlier this month via chat) we were told we had MAX service, but that they were going to escalate it to figure out the problem with linking. We never heard back, but when we looked into the matter, yesterday, we were told that our current plan did not have it, and that our previous plan did not have it either. They said the only way to get MAX was to upgrade our plan to unlimited II(?). 

Today, we tried to speak to someone via chat again, and they informed us that our previous plan had MAX, but that it was changed last year to a plan that did not include MAX and they cannot grandfather MAX into our new plan.

The story keeps changing and does not make a lot of sense. Nobody made or authorized any changes to our plan, and we did not receive any notifications that our plan changed.  We also kept using MAX until a month ago (I logged into MAX last month using my ATT account).  We've received the same canned responses that our current plan does not support MAX. This position ignores the fact that we never changed our plan.

We’ve been ATT customers since 2013, and MAX has always been a part of our plan (up until a month ago), we were expecting better treatment.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.5K Messages

5 months ago

@mhangulo  It's like I posted before. "Terms are subject to change", and being as AT&T spun off HBO Max to Max, that changed the terms. And if Max chooses to not honor the legacy AT&T accounts now, there's nothing that you can do other than subscribe to Max directly. Some legacy folks were able to get their login access back but discovered they had been downgraded to the full HD only tier, which is what was supposed to happen. But it appears that even that is not an option anymore. There never was an upgrade option for the Ultimate Tier (4k HDR/Atmos) so that was never on the table unless you subscribe directly to Max for that.

I've never given much credence to these "benefits" when carriers try to lure new customers in. When I upgraded our plan a couple of years ago I was offered "HBO Max for Life" but never activated it because the "for life" part was sketchy imo. And after reading the TOS I declined. 

1 Message

5 months ago

I had the same issue and ultimately discovered that changing from Internet 2000 to Internet 1000 six months ago caused me to lose my Max subscription now. When I made that change six months ago, I was told the Max subscription would carry over. Apparently, that was not the case and, instead, I got a six month grace period. Also, no communication that the subscription was ending. AT&T support said they could not add Max back, so I'm left with reducing my Internet bandwidth or going to a different provider to stay within budget. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.5K Messages

5 months ago

@billev23  AT&T announced over 6 months ago that they were spinning off HBO Max to be its own company and that there may be a change to the subscribers who were getting free HBO Max as part of their promo offer. There was to be a 6-month grace period that ended around Dec. 5th. Initially, those subscribers were to get their service downgraded to the Ad-free, 2 concurrent devices, full HD only tier. If they wanted the 4k HDR/Atmos tier, they would have to subscribe directly to Max and pay for it. Some AT&T subscribers were able to get their logins for Max back after calling AT&T Support, multiple times, but it seems that that was few and far between. How long Max will honor those subscribers is yet to be seen. Hopefully for a long time.

Apparently Max, who is in control, has decided that ANY changes to the original plan would void the promo, and being as they are now separate from AT&T, they call the shots. If you read the original TOS it states that the plans are subject to change, and being as Max has been spun off from AT&T, that's a change.

2 Messages

5 months ago

Hi. I spend 2+ hours on the phone with Direct TV and AT&T due to my $15.99 HBO Max and Sports credit not appearing on my bill.  Direct Tv verifies that I have unlimited HBO Max due to a promotion when we signed up. However, they don't have the capability to put the $15.99 monthly credit back on my bill. They only offered a one time $15.99 credit and transferred me to AT&T. Once I spoke with AT&T, they stated that the two companies, AT&T and DirectTv separated and AT&T does not have access to put the $15.99 credit back on my account. Since my billing is through AT&T, why can't this reoccurring credit be added back on by them? I am very frustrated. This credit was removed in error, and was part of my original contract with AT&T and DirectTv.   

ACE - Expert

• 

24.5K Messages

5 months ago

@Grassisgreen22  DirecTV and HBO Max (Max now) are separate companies now. There probably isn't any account agreements with them and AT&T so they don't have access to their billing systems. As far as HBO Max goes, they are in control now of which legacy AT&T accounts they will honor for the free service. If they choose to not honor AT&T, that's up to them. There is a clause in the AT&T TOS that says "terms are subject to change" and spinning off those two companies is certainly a change.

2 Messages

5 months ago

Hi. Thanks for the response, but I disagree. I was finally told by AT&at customer service billing representative that I could not escalate to anyone there. I was advised to go into a corporate store with my contract and tell the store employees to put something through on their end so I can resume receiving the monthly credit. I called a local corporate store and asked for help and they said they absolutely could not do that and that my best bet was contacting AT&T Loyalty. I am beyond fed up. They are not honoring the “lifetime free HBO” promotion. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.5K Messages

5 months ago

@Grassisgreen22  You were obviously told something that was not correct. A Corporate Store does not have that kind of access to a customer's account as far as working with another service provider.  As mentioned, Max is in control now of who gets access for free. Not AT&T. If you read the TOS when you activated your "free HBO Max for life" promo you'll see that it says "terms are subject to change". Being as AT&T spun off HBO Max (Max) to be its own company, Max is not obligated to honor any deal or promo that AT&T offered when AT&T owned HBO Max. I never bothered to activate my "lifetime free HBO" promotion because I knew that it was just a promotional hook to get customers. Besides, "lifetime" was never defined. I was discussing this today with someone within AT&T and they indicated that Max is just not going to play nice with AT&T. How accurate that is I don't know but apparently Max is starting to dig in.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.