Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
letsgobolts87's profile

1 Message

Monday, September 18th, 2023 4:24 PM

Were you mistakenly told your plan had changed?

Has anyone gone through something similar?

I lost my free Max subscription all of a sudden.  I signed up originally with an unlimited phone plan + DirectTv Stream plan (over a few years ago) and was told I'd have free HBO (Max) for life. I've received no communication regarding my account changing, no promotion expiring until I received an email on 9/14 saying:

"You made changes to your AT&T wireless or broadband plan from one that included Max (formerly HBO Max) as a benefit and as a result, the Max benefit has changed. Effective 09/14/2023, you will no longer be eligible to receive the Max benefit.

No action is required. To make changes to your DIRECTV account visit directv.com.

If you have any questions about AT&T wireless or broadband account, please visit att.com.

Thank you.

DIRECTV STREAM Team"

So, you told me that I no longer had access on the day you canceled my subscription?  Please help me understand this communication logic.  

You also said "You made changes to your AT&T wireless or broadband plan from one that included Max (formerly HBO Max)" - That is completely false!  You even confirmed over the phone that no changes had been made to my plan.

As for your customer service, I kept being passed back and forth from AT&T to DirectTV saying it was each others' fault and how I should "talk to ___. i'm happy to transfer you...call this number..". 

I've spent way too much time trying to get this resolved, only to be told by AT&T that I do not qualify for Max. 

This is completely outrageous.  I was obviously given Max as an incentive to sign up for the phone and TV plans. 

This was an overall horrible experience.  AT&T - you lied to me and broke your promise of free Max for life by canceling my account with zero notice, nor explanation!

I'm confident I'm not the only customer who's gone through this! 

• 

5 Messages

5 months ago

Just found this after I got a new iPad and tried to set up max as a replacement for HBO max, att login no longer works! (Edited per community guidelines)! I’m traveling next week and was looking to download some stuff to watch. How do I get this fixed?

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

24.5K Messages

5 months ago

Max is now its own company, separate from AT&T, and is in control now. The change was announced about 6 months ago and the sunset date was around Dec. 5th. If you had free HBO Max as a promo with one of your plans, and didn't make ANY CHANGES to that plan, you were supposed to still get at least the free, Ad-free, 2 device, full HD level. However, the migration from AT&T to Max has not gone smoothly so a lot of accounts have been messed up migrating from AT&T to Max. If you complain to Support they have been able to fix some accounts so that you can use your AT&T creds to login to Max. But even that has not gone well. 

As far as getting it back by next week.......

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

5 months ago

@ATTHelp i am an employee of AT&T. I have the Unlimited Plus plan and have made no changes to it. I am in the same situation as the others. My Max no longer works and is acting like I don't have a subscription. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

• 

5 Messages

5 months ago

@Foleys3 i posted on r/att in Reddit and AT&T actually reached out and helped me fix my max access. I would recommend you do the same if no one responds here. 

1 Message

5 months ago

I had a similar situation as many on this forum. One day Max is working, next day it's not. Obviously there is a bigger issue here that no one at AT&T can address or wants to address. It's a complete scam and should be illegal to solicit people with an offer (like free MAX) just to take it away for no apparent reason. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.5K Messages

5 months ago

@mario88543  Read the TOS (which you should have). It probably states that services are subject to change. All carriers throw that little gem in there to cover their backsides in case anything happens (which it usually does). The reason it went away for some, and probably eventually for all, is that AT&T sold off HBO Max to TPG (I believe) months ago. They rebranded HBO Max to Max which is in now in control of Max. The migration of AT&T legacy accounts to Max has not gone well so both are trying to figure out what, and how, to do that. Max wants its own login credentials and trying to get the AT&T credentials switched over to Max is apparently an IT nightmare. Even if you are successful in getting your free Ad-free, 2 concurrent devices, full HD tier level back there is no telling how long Max will honor that. Hopefully for a long time but only time will tell. "Free" services as part of a promo always come with caveats.

2 Messages

5 months ago

This also just happened to me, I have had MAX with my plan “previously HBO” since they launched it free with my phone plan.

I went to watch my favorite show tonight and it wouldn’t log me in, said “couldn’t verify account”, I have not changed my phone plan at all. 
I was told to contact ATT, I was told my plan did not include MAX and they didn’t know what to tell me. 
No knowledge of my plan ever having it, not even offering similar plans that now include it. I never got emails saying anything about my plan changing…

after this and all the things I’ve dealt with through Direct TV I think it’s time to look for a new provider.

super disappointed 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.5K Messages

5 months ago

@frankieruin  There has been a huge disconnect between AT&T and Max migrating the legacy AT&T account login creds to Max, who is now in total control of who accesses their service. If you read the TOS when you signed up for the promo with your phone plan you'll see the terms are subject to change language. Being as AT&T spun off Max about 6 months ago to be there own company, and the sunset target date was Dec. 5th, that may be the reason why.

2 Messages

5 months ago

Good to know, it wasn’t actually a part of a promo for me to sign up, I had a plan for years, they sent me a letter letting me know my plan current plan was eligible. I called them and they set it up, that disclaimer was not discussed. It was probably sent in an email I never opened🙃 just would have been nice to have a heads up that it was coming to an end. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.5K Messages

5 months ago

@frankieruin  Discussions on this forum about HBO Max started about 6 months ago. Originally it was reported that those who were receiving the free, Ad-free 4k HDR/Atmos level would be downgraded to the Ad-free, 2 concurrent devices, full HD only plan. That did happen for some. For others they had to bug Support to restore their creds. Others still haven't been able to access Max using their AT&T login info. For those who still want 4k HDR/Atmos, they will have to subscribe directly to Max and pay for the tier.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.