Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need your talk or text logs?
H

• 

8 Messages

Tuesday, June 29th, 2021 7:40 PM

Pre-Approved Numbers Only on a Minor Child's Phone

I want to provide a call list of acceptable numbers and only these acceptable numbers that can call/text into or out of my minor child's phone.

Is this possible?  If so, how?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

3 years ago

to start with what phone?

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

I am buying a new phone for a minor child.  It can be any phone that offers these features.

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks for the links to parental controls!

After looking these over, it seems neither will restrict the phone call and texting numbers.  I think the carrier, ATT in our case, has control over this.

I am wondering if ATT, as my carrier, will allow me, as the account owner, to set up a phone that only allows calls/texts to and from an approved call list.

Thanks!

• 

159 Messages

3 years ago

Wrong and wrong. iOS and Android do have this capability.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/12/10/apples-new-parental-controls-can-limit-who-kids-can-call-text-and-facetime-and-when/

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

3 years ago

Yeah they allow you to lockdown the phone tight.

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

Thank you for the article!

Unfortunately, I am dealing with a teen.  The question I have... is there any phone I can give my teen that will not cause an issue?

1. only approved numbers for calls/texts both in & out

2. only two apps, music & kindle

I am leaning toward a flip-phone device and an MP3 player with paper books.  Just want to be sure there are not other options.

And, I am certain this kid will find all the loopholes in parental control apps if I give them a smartphone.  Like these teens have:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/10/15/teens-find-circumventing-apples-parental-controls-is-childs-play/

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

3 years ago

How old of a teen?  And you can get around anything.  Apple has since closed those loopholes.  My sister's kid has yet to get around them and he is big into coding.

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

Very smart 15 year old with tech savvy friends.

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

Still not finding any information specifically on calls/texts only to/from an approved call list via iOS or Android parental control apps/features. 

Parental controls limit times to use the phone, but not explicitly blocking calls/texts from unapproved numbers.

So, there is one non-technology solution I can think of.

1. Set-up an expectation with my teen that only certain numbers are allowed & this will be monitored by me regularly.

2. Check online periodically with my ATT usage information for the numbers my teen calls/texts to find any unapproved numbers.

3. Deal with consequences as agreed upon with my teen.

4. Use parental control apps/features to limit smartphone features outside of basic carrier functionality like calls/texts, or not use a smartphone.... just a flip phone.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.