Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need your talk or text logs?
Arnon's profile

16 Messages

Thursday, October 12th, 2023 8:34 PM

Closed

One more time deceptive and fraudulent sales practices

Chatted with a rep regarding a TRUE  unlimited plan ( No capping , No de- prioritization) for my CELL  IPAD

Was assured several times in the chat  that ATT had the plan for me , headed to an ATT store ( Walmart Hurricane Utah) signed up for the said plan , once everything was finalized and was assured that all was well, I asked the rep to check my account to verify the plan and my cost , when we did , although he signed me up for one plan , the plan I was provided by ATT was completely different with a 50GB cap.... Had to cancel everything , wasted few hours and money on this " exercise"

Chatted again with ATT and the  new chat agent confirmed that  she had access to the previous chat and that ATT did not have the plan I was offered ...

These deceptive practices by ATT reps agent should be resolved in a court of law as apologies don't quite cut it.

I expected a little bit more from a company the size of ATT. 

Accepted Solution

Former Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

7 months ago

All available current plans are posted online. No need to chat with anybody. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

7 months ago

@Arnon  The AT&T "store" in Walmart is an independent retailer. It is not owned or operated by AT&T nor is it staffed with AT&T employees. They just resell AT&T goods and services. Technically, you did business with them, not AT&T. Quite often, what they tell you is not correct and they only do that to make a sale. Once the sale is made, they pass that information on to AT&T who has no clue as to what was said and/or promised to the customer. AT&T will only honor what is listed, in detail, on their website. Unfortunately AT&T has no control over the business practices of these independent retailers. The same is true for an Authorized AT&T Retail Store, which looks exactly the same as the AT&T Corporate Stores.

Sounds like the problem was complicated by some bad information given to you by the AT&T Chat rep. 

(edited)

16 Messages

7 months ago

As I stated in my original post , before heading out to Walmart , the false information provided to me was made by an AT&T  chat representative on an official AT&T website.

Can't pass on the blame to Walmart.

You'd be surprised how much information is not provided online .

To anybody who claims that there is no need for the chat representatives... If they were not needed than why does AT&T employs them... You will not find online the different discounts available to First responders for example or to  senior citizens, not without digging heavily...

You would expect an AT&T  sales rep to know what he or she is selling...

I bet there are some incentives and bonuses for having new customers sign up .. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

7 months ago

I'm sure there are incentives for the sales reps, just like there is for the independents. I agree that if it is an official sales rep on the AT&T website they should be well informed and clear when dealing with potential customer's.

One may have to dig a bit to find the discounts but they are there online at the AT&T website.

File a complaint with the BBB. That goes to AT&T Corporate and someone will contact you. You can discuss the issue with them directly and see if there is a remedy.

16 Messages

7 months ago

Already did ( BBB) .

There is no excuse to deliver a different product than the one purchased, be it to an individual or  to a dealer  in the service of the seller. 

I stood by the Walmart rep when we signed up for a plan , if I didn't have such a distrust with this provider ( as I do with the rest of them , soely based on past experience) I wouldn't have asked to check the status of my account with respect to the product and the price and I wouldn't have found out that AT&T  delivered a whole different product/ service.

I strongly feel that only a (Edited per community guidelines) (Edited per community guidelines) will put an end to this practice.

The same way they did away with the small print and warning labels on some products and the same way they did away with the speed of speech ( that no person could comprehend) that companies felt they fulfilled the disclosure requirements. 

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

7 months ago

You'll just have to wait and see then when you get contacted by a Senior Manager in the Office of the President on what they are willing to do.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

7 months ago

You will not find online the different discounts available to First responders for example or to  senior citizens, not without digging heavily...

Yes but FirstNet is not consumer plans.   And AT&T's 55 and over plan is a simple Google search. 

Consumer plans are a lower priority than business or FirstNet and there is no truly unlimited data plan offered for tablets alone.  The only time you get unlimited on a tablet is if it is on a plan with phones.

Not on AT&T, not on Verizon, and not on T-Mobile.

There are unlimited options for phones.  But even those are not truly unlimited because you cannot hotspot as much data as you want.

The best priority plan for a tablet would be on FirstNet or business unlimited plans... If you qualify

I'm a Verizon customer and I have a tablet as the sixth line on my plan with five phones. It has unlimited data and I have run up over 200 gigs in a month. It is not permitted to use its hotspot.  And it is deprioritized during times of congestion. Fortunately I have rarely had that problem

(edited)

16 Messages

7 months ago

You see ? As a private citizen who is not in the cellular business , I don't know the first thing about

" Consumer plan Vs priority Vs First net and I bet the vast majority of citizens are in the same boat , I expect to be educated  about my options by the reps employed by the provider , not to be lied to or misled by them. 

16 Messages

7 months ago

BTW

This de-prioritization is the biggest scam.

I can tell you from my experience with both Verizon and T mobile that they don't  slow you down , what they do is cut you off.

With both Carriers once I exceeded my 50GB or 100GB  of premium data  my connection speed went from 80mbs - 250 mbs to 84 kbs... I checked literally in all hours of the day and there was little to no change in the speed so their claim that it's done during busy times is false. Also show me one thing you could do online at a speed of  84kbs .. nothing.. not even opening a text only email... 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

7 months ago

This de-prioritization is the biggest scam.

How is that? 

I can tell you from my experience with both Verizon and T mobile that they don't  slow you down , what they do is cut you off.

With both Carriers once I exceeded my 50GB or 100GB  of premium data  my connection speed went from 80mbs - 250 mbs to 84 kbs..

That's the definition of slow...

Deprioritization is temporary during congestion.  The problem is every single network is congested.  Especially Verizon 

What you are describing when you write 'cut off   is a throttle.

Service providers don't throttle anymore, unless the throttle is clearly listed as a feature of your plan.

For example AT&T's unlimited premium plan does not throttle on the phones. But if you use your phone's hotspot to share data, the hotspot is throttled at 50 GB. 

All networks warn you there is the possibility of deprioritization when there is congestion. Even on a top tiered plan it can happen.   Doesn't matter if you have used up all of your high speed data or not. Congestion is congestion.  It's a traffic jam.

As a Verizon customer, congestion in the center of my town means no one has any data.  Even if we haven't come close to making a dent in priority data.

I already described to you in a previous post that I use about 200 gigs a month on my Verizon unlimited tablet which would be equivalent to QCI 9, start/welcome unlimited data.

I expect to be educated  about my options by the reps employed by the provider , not to be lied to or misled by them. 

Why would they discuss plans with you that you're not eligible for?   

Tablets on all consumer plans are always at Starter QCI 9, with the exception of the discontinued, and most people are forced off of,  the original standalone unlimited Elite plan.  

QCI 6 ➤ FirstNET(UNLTD), AT&T Business Elite/premium(UNLTD)

QCI 7 ➤ AT&T Consumer Elite(UNLTD)

QCI 8 ➤ AT&T Consumer Extra(50GB), AT&T Business Performance(50GB), AT&T Prepaid Unlimited Plus(22GB), AT&T Prepaid Unlimited MAX(22GB), Cricket Unlimited More(UNLTD), All MVNOs By-The-Gig Plans(VARY BY PLANS), AT&T Prepaid By-The-Gig Plans(VARY BY PLANS), Wing Alpha Old Plans(50GB)

QCI 9 ➤ AT&T Consumer Starter, AT&T Business Starter, AT&T Prepaid Unlimited, All MVNOs Unlimited Plans, All After Deprioritized Plans, Wing Alpha New Plans(Was Business Reseller for old customers)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.