For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
K

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, April 8th, 2020 12:05 AM

Govt Telework

I do healthcare telework from home for Govt. I am rural and had used satellite internet but it has become completely unreliable. I need help.

I have at&t cellular service and receive one bar at my location. I am wondering if a hotspot would work. I need a highspeed consistent connection and a router that I can plug my cpu directly in to. No other fixed wireless internet at my location.

I have heard of installing an directional antenna and adding a signal booster. I need help. Please advise, recommend...

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

4 years ago

If you can get at least one bar, preferably two, of steady cellular signal then a cellular booster may help. Refer to my Cellular Booster Guide, link is in my sig line, for a primer on cellular boosters to see if that is something that may help. However, they are not cheap and AT&T does not offer them, at least not for residential use.

• 

2 Messages

dadgum that is some interesting reading. Does AT&T provide technicians that can do this kind of upgrade? or is this a do-it-yourself upgrade?

Question. If an antenna and booster Amplified my cellular signal then would adding a hotspot work for a strong internet connection?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

@knowmad66 if you're asking if AT&T engineers can install a cellular booster mentioned in my Cellular Booster Guide the answer is no. The various mfrs/dealers of the cellular boosters have their own installers.

Yes, you could install one yourself but to do it right takes some work. If you are considering a cellular booster, discuss installation options first with whomever you are considering.

I don't know if adding a hotspot would be beneficial or not. It all depends on the initial celluar signal, where the tower is, which bandwidths are available to you etc.

AT&T Cell Booster Technical Guide by OttoPylot

Cellular Booster Guide by OttoPylot

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.