OttoPylot: My “3G Microcell Technical Guide”
Hello, I'm OttoPylot - an "ACE" because I received the "Award for Community Excellence." I'm not really a pilot. The only thing I fly is little remote control helicopters when I'm not crashing them into the side of the house or in the pond. I used to terrorize the neighbor's cat with it but my wife suggested I find a better use for my helicopter.
I joined the community in 2011 when I was looking for help with my own MicroCell. I had to purchase a MicroCell because cell phone service was non-existent in our house. It worked for 6 months then started having multiple issues. After about a month of frustrating customer service support, I finally got the MicroCell to work. I was directed to this forum and noticed that others across the country were having the same, or very similar issues. I decided I would do what I could to help the community and learn as much as I could about the MicroCell.
The AT&T 3G MicroCell is AT&T's version of a femtocell for VoIP calls. It is used when in-home cell phone coverage is poor or non-existent. The MicroCell uses your GPS coordinates and internet connection to connect to AT&T for cellular calls. The MicroCell is purchased through AT&T or authorized corporate stores and there is no addtional monthly charges unless you opt for unlimited coverage. Your usual monthly cell phone charges remain the same.
I've written my own MicroCell Technical Guide. the "3G Microcell Technical Guide by OttoPylot." I hope it helps you. Please feel free to ask a question by creating a post in the MicroCell Community. I am likely to ask you these questions to get us started, so you may want to include the answers in your post:
1. Have you read the Tech Guide first? 3G MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot
2. Do you have an active postpaid AT&T mobile account?
3. Is your MicroCell white or black?
4. Who is your ISP and is your service ADSL, cable, wireless or satellite?
5. What are your subscribed download and upload speeds as stated by your ISP?
6. Have you tested your internet speeds? (http://speedtest.net)
7. Please run the test and post your latency, download and upload speeds.
8. Have you tested your connection for VoIP? (http://voiptest.8x8.com)
9. Please run the test and post the results that are listed under the "Advanced" tab.
10. Are you using the basic connection (modem -> router -> MicroCell) or the alternate connection (modem -> MicroCell -> router)? The alternate connection is not possible with the black (DPH-154) MicroCell.
11. Are all of the cables firmly in place?
12. Do you have a combined modem/router (gateway) or a separate modem and router? What are the makes and model numbers for your equipment?
13. Have you met the minimum requirements for router settings as outlined in the Tech Guide?
14. What other equipment (access points, switches, computers, WiFi components, gaming consoles, etc.) do you have connected to your network?
15. What does the light pattern look like on the MicroCell (power, ethernet, GPS, and 3G)? Are they all a solid green or is any of them blinking green or red, and if so, which one?
16. Have you done a hard reset of the MicroCell? See the Tech Guide for instructions.
17. Have you deactivated and reactivated your MicroCell using AT&T's MicroCell website?
18. Test the output voltage of your MicroCell's AC adapter with a voltmeter. It should read 16 VDC +/- 0.5 VDC. Post your results.
Thanks for being part of the AT&T Community.
MicroCell Technical Guide by OttoPylot