For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
mjsoccerfan's profile

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

Sunday, February 8th, 2015 11:44 PM

no dial tone on second phone line of uverse gateway

My uverse voice had been working fine for 6 months. I have 2 phone lines, with the second line for a fax.

I decided to clean up the wires behind the desk. Power to the NVG589 modem was off for about 2 hours. WHen I put everything back together, I no longer got dial tone on the second line.

When the uverse guy originally installed this, he plugged an ATT SE-267A splitter into the Phone lines 1&2 port, and then he plugged another splitter into that. Of the 3 open ports in the splitters, 2 lines went to the wall jacks for each of the phone lines, and the 3rd port went to the fax machine. When I reconnected things, I tried all the different permutations of those 2 wall jack lines and the 3 ports, but nothing brought back dial tone to the 2nd line. The main line works fine.

Do you really need to put piggy back splitters into that phone lines port in order to support 2 VOIP lines out of one NVG589 modem?

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@mjsoccerfan Obviously so since it does not work.  Do you start w/the ATT SE-267A splitter, that's the one splitting the lines?  Have to assume the fax machine was plugged into one of those two ports.

Other splitter was plugged into the other port to feed the 2 phone jacks.

I'd set it up then I'd do a hard reboot of the RG by unplug/plug in power after 30 seconds. This will fix many RG problems, let us know if it worked, good luck. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

The feed jack has line 1 on the inner prongs and line 2 on the outer prongs.

If you had a two line phone it would pick up the two lines correctly.

If you wanted to connect two phones or phone/fax to the two lines you would need a two line splitter to move the outer prongs on the input to the inner prongs on one of the outputs because one line phones use the inner prongs.

See if you can determine which of your splitters is two line and connect it to the RG & see if you have service on the second line. If no service, call for repair.

A two SET splitter forwards all four pins to each jack. These are used to distribute both lines to wherever the need to go. If all wiring is OK the two lines appear on the four pins the same as on the RG.

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

9 years ago

AT&T sent a tech to my house the same day! The tech said that both of the piggybacked splitters I had were 2-SET splitters. He replaced one of the two splitters with a 2-line splitter. There is no explanation for how this setup worked for 6 months.

Anyhow, the tech showed me how to tell from the lights on the front of the RG when a phone line was working (blinking). ANd he explained that the dial tone is actually "flowing" from the RG to the wall outlet, which was backwards from what I had assumed.

Thank you for your advice!

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

Glad to hear that it is working.

Re: There is no explanation for how this setup worked for 6 months.

Your house wiring is a big unknown. That is why I suggested checking directly at the RG. The one line/two line manipulation can be accomplished at the wall jack connections.

Of course, it cannot work both ways. I hope it is not fixed at the RG but not working at the house wiring

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.