Let AT&T help you elebrate your dad with Father's Day Gifts that connect us.
lionofct's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, April 23rd, 2011 4:33 PM

Closed

Caller ID shows "Unavailable 1"

Recently. I've been getting calls that register on the caller ID as "Unavailable", and the phone number shown is just "1". Is there a way to block these calls?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Not only are they calling me, they've called me no less than 5 times this morning AND I'm getting calls from a "No Name 10000000000". I called AT&T, not knowing this forum existed, and received zero help.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

I hit "enter" by mistake...

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

I did it again! Anyways, "just not answering" isn't going to work if they are calling at this level of obnoxiousness. Btw, if I answer, no one is there, just a lot of background noise. I tried saying, "if you don't take my name off your list I'm reporting you", but they hung up mid-sentence, lol! Oh well, I'm going to try twitter. AT&T reps respond super quick there, which is awesome 🙂

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Like the "do not call" list ever works.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I used to get these calls occasionally, but recently I am getting at least five or six a day, at all hours.  As mentioned above, NOMOROBO lets only one ring through, but this many calls a day is ridiculous!  I normally am up late and try to sleep late in the morning.  I can't turn my ringer off because I do get important calls.  This should be considered illegal harassment!

Mentor

• 

28 Messages

9 years ago

I agree. I've written the FCC about this, and I wish more people would as well. I wish there was a way to block calls that do not display a verifiable, working call back number (which then could be used to trace the company providing the phone service) and that these U.S. telecommunications companies would discontinue service with companies making telemarketing calls that disregard "do not call" registrations.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

An absolute mess. It's a catch 22, in that blocking the offending callers, means less business for the phone companies. Our privacy vs big money for cooperate phone utilities becomes the issue, and we end up losing that fight. Unfortunate, but somehow there has to be a solution. I do not think it should be up to the consumer to solve the problem. It really should be ATT/Frontier.

Good Luck.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

They have called us for the past 3 months. Since we got AT&T. Never before this. I have answered the phone a few times and they would just hang up. Today my husband answered and a man talk to him (although it was hard to understand him through his thick Indian accent). The man claimed to be calling from the US Treasury. Then proceeded to call my husband an ***. My husband give me the phone where I asked to speak to a supervisor. He then continues to call my husband as *** many times before he informs me he's the supervisor. I reply by saying this, "No supervisor would just call us and go on calling a person an ***. Why are you calling? What is this pertaining to?" He says well if you husband wasn't such an *** I would have told him! I then started saying I couldn't understand him and to please stop mumbling. You don't call people and mumble if your with a real company. He hung up on me. So this is NOT a real company! I believe they are people out to try and scam money! If anyone talks to you immediately ask for a supervisor on the terms that you can not understand the person and the phone. If they don't give you one then they are NOT a real company!!

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

ACE - Expert

• 

27.9K Messages

9 years ago

@novalyc wrote:

They have called us for the past 3 months. Since we got AT&T. Never before this. I have answered the phone a few times and they would just hang up. Today my husband answered and a man talk to him (although it was hard to understand him through his thick Indian accent). The man claimed to be calling from the US Treasury. Then proceeded to call my husband an ***. My husband give me the phone where I asked to speak to a supervisor. He then continues to call my husband as *** many times before he informs me he's the supervisor. I reply by saying this, "No supervisor would just call us and go on calling a person an ***. Why are you calling? What is this pertaining to?" He says well if you husband wasn't such an *** I would have told him! I then started saying I couldn't understand him and to please stop mumbling. You don't call people and mumble if your with a real company. He hung up on me. So this is NOT a real company! I believe they are people out to try and scam money! If anyone talks to you immediately ask for a supervisor on the terms that you can not understand the person and the phone. If they don't give you one then they are NOT a real company!!

WHY in the world would you answer that call?  If I don't recognize a name, I don't answer.

Former Employee

• 

33 Messages

9 years ago

I'm surprised customers are still having a hard time with this issue.

This is a known issue with customers, we've known about it for some time, and there is a way to block these numbers from calling you. Unfortunately, it's not as easy as going into your Voice settings and clicking a few buttons.

What you need to do to block the numbers is call tech support - tell them you are receiving calls from the number "1", and wish to have those calls blocked. The support agent will need to contact a different department by chat called UARC -- Uverse Advanced Resolution Center. 

The UARC team will create a ticket that goes to a 3rd department - this one specifically handles call routing issues, and is tasked with blocking calls from "1". As part of the ticket creation process, you can request to have a UARC agent contact you once the block has been initiated, and they will do so. I does normally take 24-48 hours to complete the ticket, as the team in charge is fairly small (only a handful of techs).

Trust me - I work on the UARC team, we see this every day. Easy ticket to make, easy fix, but we don't know you're getting the calls unless you tell tech support.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.