Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
P

• 

1 Message

Sunday, September 6th, 2020 2:17 AM

Closed

ATT cancelling LandLine Telephone Service- WHY

Well as a disabled person who has counted on my Landline service for help.  I've had the same number for more than 30 year.   Bad weather  that  took out electricity and phone towers, for days.  I was the only person on my block that could still communicate with someone.  People with fancy cell phones were coming to my house to use the ancient reliable LANDLINE.  Even the 911, police and fire departments are up in arms about a possible departure of Landlines.   Well it's coming soon.  I have a phone in every room in my house.  Will I be able to have that security with digital service that needs a battery back up that last 24-36 hours.  Just last month a storm took out power for 2 weeks.  I live in the rural area. I had no water, no lights, no cooking, or fridge, but I had telephone service to call for help or to let people Know I was ok.  NOW.  Att if you cut landline service in Michigan are you going to help me find telephone service, or guarantee that I won't be left in danger in a  long power outage.  I have ATT DSL so would I have to find another internet service.  I've found that in most cases Digital telephones don't work well in my area, Comcast has hard time keeping my neighbors services operating in the old homes built in 1950-1960 and of course shell I mention Power Outages again.  I'm VERY UPSET and AFRAID.  I have a cell phone and it stopes working, freezes, battery dies and lets not forget upgrading software and if not the cell phone is obsolete, then you have to buy another phone $100 and up. I'm on fixed income do think I want to buy a cell phone every year or up grade a digital phone because software changed.  I hope ATT reconsiders about deleting landline.  Will customers be informed a year before so they can figured things out, or will we be just cut off with no service.  Will money deposits be returned ? I don't remember how much it was, but I do recall paying for hookup and for someone to put the lines in my home.  Thank you

ACE - Expert

• 

32.3K Messages

4 years ago

I would suggest looking into your rights and options. Apparently discontinuation of AT&T landlines was started in 2017, but has hoops to jump through. Unfortunately the cost of maintaining traditional landline while improving internet and wireless options to the point of pure replacement, is not feasible. I guess a situation of moving money from one pocket to another so they can move forward.

Michigan Public Services Commission Tips

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

4 years ago

Some areas are not allowing new service but are not canceling existing service

Teacher

• 

57 Messages

3 years ago

I would suggest wireless/cellular home phone service if the cell signal in your area is strong.  AT&T used to offer a product called "Wireless Home Phone" but for some reason they no longer offer it.  I suspect the product was so reliable and affordable that it was taking customers away from their digital phone.  

Both Ooma and Verizon offer wireless home phone service.  With Ooma it's called Telo 4G at $11.99/month and with Verizon it's called Home Phone Connect for $20/mo.  I have had AT&T wireless home phone for about 6 years (grandfathered in)  and I've never had a problem with it.  I actually think it's safer than VOIP or a POTS line because there is no wiring or connection that can be cut or damaged in a storm. 

You get a small box with an antenna and a signal indicator on it.  It needs to be plugged into an outlet.  I have mine wired into my home phone jacks and it's actually on the wall in the basement where the original phone wiring comes in from the landline.  There's a dial tone in every room and I have 5 phones throughout the house. 

And unlike older models, the newer devices allow data transmissions which gives you the ability to send faxes.  In addition, most other devices such as home alarms, pace makers, credit card scanners, etc no longer need a landline, many of them have built in cellular connections.  

Depending on the device model, the battery back up can last up to 72 hours of standby time and 3-5 hours or talk time.  Verizon's Voice Link uses 4 AA batteries.  So if you have spare rechargeable batteries or a model that uses store bought batteries, you can power your phone line for longer than 72 hours. 

BTW, the concept of requiring a customer to provide a power source at the premises is nothing new.  The old crank phones in the late 1800's and early 1900's that were connected to magneto switchboards also needed to have dry cell batteries installed in the phone to provide talk current.

There are also some smaller companies like Straight Talk and Consumer Cellular that offer the service.  Another option is a "work around".  You can insert a T-Mobile SIM card into an unlocked wireless home phone device.  T-Mobile has a $20/month talk and text only plan.  Or, you can also insert a prepaid AT&T SIM card.

You can keep the same number.  I think landlines will be gone within a few years so it's best to be prepared with an inexpensive stand alone option that does not rely on internet.  My only additional advice would be to use a different company for wireless home phone than you do for your regular cell phone in the event of an outage.

(edited)

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I too have a landline through at&t and love it. The reception to speak with our families that live long distance in AK, is much more clear than constant fuzziness and dropped calls from a cell phone. We have tried several carriers and all the same; they do not work well.  We also have cell phones for when we are on the go but are not reliable like the landlines because the require constant charging, upkeep and they are always becoming obsolete and needing expensive upgrade.  Why is it so expensive just to keep that connection and have a piece of mind? One of the best reason I like my landlines is for the ability of the police and fire to know exactly where we are without me having to say and in an emergency where I could not say. The thing I like least about my landlines is that at&t is almost criminal like in charging me $88/mo for their cheapest line. REALLY!  Time to involve the BBB. 

Expert

• 

19.5K Messages

2 years ago

@Mylandline2022 This is a two year old topic, please stick to the topic you started  found here. Closing this one to further posting. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.