Our Community Forum will be shutting down on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Need to update email settings?
SurreyGuy's profile

2 Messages

Tuesday, May 21st, 2024 11:35 PM

Locked out of email server.; unable to change password.

In early May I lost access to my Bellsouth.net email accounts on both a desktop client and iPhone. Nothing went out and any inbound emails were bounced back with an ‘address unknown’ flag. No changes had been made to either device so I suspected the issue to be a mail server one.

On-line AT&T resources revealed nothing and were full of simple tips for set-up and similar. There seemed no direct communication channel available except the chat-bot that churned out basic answers that were no help. Their web site seemed keener to advertise new services that in-depth help.

I was reluctant to dive into my client settings and make random changes for fear of losing track. So, I eventually managed to talk to a support person. He said I needed to reset my passwords and went through the set-up steps on iPhone. This all was due to their Yahoo mail servers being compromised or changed and it was not an AT&T issue but all tied in to Yahoo, blah, blah.

So, I open the iPhone mail app, click on ‘reset password’ and after passing the anti-robot screening, I’m taken to a page that says a six-digit code has been sent to my email address. This will presumably allow me to change the password.

But, but….., I still don’t have access to my email so I have no way of reading this code!    Catch 22.

I also tried this on their Yahoo hosted web mail portal but hit the same wall.  

• Is there any kind of work around using a text code to the registered phone?
  • Can a support human do this with my authorization?
  • Do I have to abandon my three accounts that I have used for 20+ years and have many overseas users?

My AT&T account page does have a box for a recovery phone number but its empty; – our wireless phone came after the email was set up. Well, add another phone number… I tried but it only recognizes AT&T wireless numbers and mine is not. So, I’m stumped.

No Responses!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.