For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
Mamacat104's profile

Mentor

• 

289 Messages

Saturday, May 10th, 2014 2:08 PM

outbound and inbound email settings

I was trying to set up my sbcglobal.net email to get it in Microsoft outlook 2003

the inbound.att.net/995 and outbound.att.net/465  do not work...

I tried

pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com and smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com

neither one of these work... if there a way to get my emails through Outlook 2003 ??

I use my sbcglobal.net for all my bills and my bank and have been using it for years so would really like to keep my email address as it is and have it so I can recieve it all in Outlook 2003  

Am not happy with the new email format in at&t/yahoo mail so thought it would all be better using it through Outlook 2003

thank you

Barbara

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

Set up your AT&T Mail account in Outlook 2002 or 2003, simply add a new email account to your existing Outlook profile.

1. Open Outlook 2002 or 2003 on your computer.
  2. Select the Tools menu, and then select Email Accounts.Email Accounts follows Macro
  3. Select the button for Add a new e-mail account and click the Next button. Next in the lower right corner
  4. Select POP3, and then click Next.
  5. In the User Information section:
    1. Under Your Name field, enter your name the way that you want it to appear to other people.
    2. In the E-mail Address: field, enter your full AT&T email address e.g., YourName@att.net. If you are setting up this account for an AT&T Email Alias, input the alias email address in this field.
  6. In the Server Information section:
    1. In the Incoming Mail (POP3 or IMAP) Server field, enter inbound.att.net
    2. In the Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server field, enter outbound.att.net
  7. In the Logon Information section:
    1. In the User Name: field, enter your full email address. If you are setting up this account for an AT&T Email Alias, input the full email address of the ID (Primary or subaccount) associated with the email alias in this field. Do not input the email alias address in this field.
    2. In the Password field, enter your password.
    3. Select the Remember password checkbox.
  8. Select More Settings.
  9. Select the Outgoing Server tab.
  10. Verify these settings:
    1. The checkbox beside My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication is selected.
    2. The radio button Use same settings as my incoming mail server is selected.
  11. Select the Advanced tab.
  12. Verify these settings:
    1. The Incoming mail (POP3) should be port 995, and the checkbox beside This server requires a secure connection (SSL) is selected.
    2. The Outgoing mail (SMTP) should be port 465, and the checkbox beside This server requires a secure connection (SSL) is selected.
  13. Click OK. Advanced tab follows Connection tab
  14. In the Test Settings section, you can test the configuration by selecting the Test Account Settings button. If any information is incorrect or missing, you will be prompted to enter or correct it. You must be connected to the Internet prior to selecting this option.
  15. Click Next.
  16. Click Finish. Finish

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Administrator

• 

901 Messages

8 years ago

Mentor

• 

289 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you for reply.. finally got it working, but can't see my folders in my ATT mail so don't like using it that way...  deleted it

thanks

Barbara

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Thank you so much.  This information was extremely helpful and solved my problem setting up my e-mail account.  Again... THANK YOU!!!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

These settings do not work for sub-account POP3 access.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Hello,

I can't find clear instructions to set up Outlook Express 6, OS XP, for whatever ones I find and enter, the result is the same, that is, "cannot find the host."  No problem with att yahoo mail on-line, but I still prefer the OE format for regular use.  Can you help me restore OE functionality, for not long ago, it worked just as it ought.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

The server settings are here.  Using that information I'm sure you can google search for how to specify the settings for your client.

Update:

Just noticed the server settings are even mention up above in this thread as well.

(edited)

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you for the kind and prompt reply.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you for the kind and prompt reply. The settings, however, those that appear as choices in OE6, are already as your referred site describes, but...it STILL doesn't find the host. Google searches have not found explicit configuration instructions (as a semi-computer literate person needs). Attempts to secure technical assistance from AT&T were, to describe them politely, outrageously exasperating. If one speaks Tagalog, the language in the Phillippines, or Hindi, the language in India, then maybe useful help might be forthcoming. To get through the automated routing system AT&T employs is, in my opinion, intentionally obstructionist and almost never provides the option sought.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

@doced69 said:

Google searches have not found explicit configuration instructions

A google search for configuring Outlook Express 6 seems to turn up lots of instruction pages for me.

Since you say it once was working and now it's not (and the webmail still works so its not an account/password problem) it must be something specific to using OE.   I know nothing about OE.  But perhaps you should ask for help from, say, the Microsoft Community or Microsoft Support itself.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.