For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
RJohnsoneod's profile

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

Tuesday, May 10th, 2016 12:43 PM

Closed

Check ATT email without using Yahoo

I simply want to access my home ATT email without having to access or support Yahoo. The att/yahoo home page is nothing but extreme (Edited per community guidelines) blogs and plagerized "news" stories. The blogs that att.yahoo.com regularly posts are hate filled anti-American and if you try to access them to post your comments then you are hit with militple malware/viruses/addware that try to dig into your computer like roaches into a roadside diner. The "news" stories are little more than blogs on a larger scale that are generally racist, anti-second amendment, anti-American and meant to create sensationalism through hate speech. I thought I saw a posting on here that said that my ATT email is actually Yahoo email created by a partnership between ATT and Yahoo. I hope that this is not the case.

I can access my email from my phone without pulling up yahoo so is there a way to do this from my computer? 

Thanks

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

8 years ago

Okay, just so you know, all of att's e-mail servers are owned and operated by Yahoo.

for all intents, they ARE ATT's e-mail service.

There is NO way to access ATT e-mail without accessing Yahoo.

With Yahoos business interests up for sale, and ATT switching its Yahoo venturs to Synacore in the near future (with, suprisingly, the exception of e-mail service that stays with yahoo), we could wind up with someone else doing the ATT e-mail (probably Verizon.. yay! )

But only due to them becoming yahoo, or more likly, yahoo becoming them.

To do what you want, is actually easy to do.. go with another e-mail service. Pleanty out there. Some, such as g-mail, are even free. Granted, you can't access your yahoo e-mail, but oh well.

Guru

• 

498 Messages

8 years ago

@RJohnsoneod wrote:

I simply want to access my home ATT email without having to access or support Yahoo.

You can avoid the att/yahoo home page, but you still have to login with Yahoo:

http://mail.yahoo.com

Visitor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I completely agree.  I know I don't understand the interworkings between ATT and Yahoo but I despise the interface.  We have had email with ATT for 16 years and what was once Bellsouth.  Yahoo gets in the way and I wish ATT would divorce themselves from that "service".  

Scholar

• 

111 Messages

8 years ago

Now that a competitor owns yahoo (Verizon) I think a divorce is just around the corner...

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

8 years ago

Actually, I do not see ATT moving it's e-mail service any time in the near futre, as if they were going to do that, they would have already done so.

Yahoo has to honour the contracts for service already in effect, in this case, providing e-mail for ATT.

As much as i would like to see it happen, I just do not see ATT moving it.

Scholar

• 

111 Messages

6 years ago

So I guess we have to put up with the adds...

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

Just to put put a another perspective on what the OP asked, i.e., 

I can access my email from my phone without pulling up yahoo so is there a way to do this from my computer? 

With respect to just this statement, another way of answering this is, yes, you can access your email from a computer very much like your phone by using an email client app.  The phone is using an app (I assume), and there are many apps for various platforms.  Thunderbird (my current favorite) is one,  Outlook is also popular.  But there are others catering to various tastes in presentation.

Having said that, what is discussed above is still correct.  You may be accessing your email through an add-free app, but yahoo is the one controlling the servers the email app is accessing.  The only way to get out from under yahoo (and the OATH TOS) is to use different email servers, i.e., choose another email server provider (ESP).  There's lots of them to choose from too.

There are free ESPs and pay ESPs (all relatively cheap IMO)  Most of these provide a webmail interface and usually POP/IMAP/SMTP servers for email clients.  If you still want to use a browser for email (i.e., webmail) and not a client remember keep in mind about choosing the free ESPs.  There's going to be ads and other non-desirable stuff because as I repeatedly say in posts like this "if you are not paying for the product, you are the product" (I didn't make that up, google it).  IMO pay ESPs are far more desirable and you can sign up with a ESP whose sole business is email, usually responsive to support questions, and actually knows how to run an email service!

Finally about ads in browsers, and from att and yahoo in particular.  For the most part, if you don't like the ads in the yahoo webmail (or even att's start.att.net portal page) install an ad blocker extension/addon to your browser to suppress them.

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

5 years ago

I despise using Yahoo; nothing but trash.  I just want to use my AT&T login without going thru Yahoo!!!!!!!!!

Scholar

• 

111 Messages

5 years ago

I feel the same way 👍

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

5 years ago

I despise Yahoo; they got breached in 2013 and I am still having fallout from that!!!!!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.