For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
marley01's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Sunday, February 19th, 2017 7:02 PM

Can I decouple AT&T services account from email account?

Does anyone know of a way to decouple the email account that AT&T gives you from the AT&T services account, so that the accounts have different login ID's, passwords, and security questions?  Alternatively, is there a way to eliminate the email account altogether?

Here's the background for the question:  I don't use the email account that AT&T gives me.  However, AT&T shares the login information associated with the services account with Yahoo (the provider of the email services).  Yahoo has a notoriously bad security record.  Anyone who mangages to gain access to the Yahoo login credentials, also has access to the AT&T services account.  This means access to the router, voice mail messages, and other personal information stored in the services account.

I have had a chat discussion with AT&T support, who tells me that AT&T does not provide a way to decouple or eliminate the email account.  I suspect he is right, but I am hoping that someone in the community has other information.

I will note that the AT&T profile provides a way to "change" the access ID.  However, this appears to only create an alias for the services account ID.  You can still login to the AT&T services account with the email address and password of the Yahoo account.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

7 years ago

If you want to completely decouple then you might consider using a third party email service provide, i.e., a provider that (may) actually knows how an email service should work.  There are free ones and pay ones.  I haven't done the research (here's a google search) as yet.  But it may be the case of you get what you pay for.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

I want to re-iterate that I am not looking for advice on email providers.  I already use a different email provider and have no intention of ever using the email account that AT&T provides to me.  The fact that I don't use the AT&T-provided email account in no way solves the issue.

The issue is that AT&T shares the user authentication data for my AT&T services account with Yahoo, and that information is part of the Yahoo database.  When that Yahoo information is compromised, as it repeatedly has been, then access to the AT&T services account is also compromised.  That is why I want to decouple (or eliminate) the email account.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.