Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Protect yourself online
Buddhamae's profile

2 Messages

Tuesday, May 7th, 2024 5:53 PM

Closed

AT&T Security Breach

I have not been contacted by AT&T offering me Experian Identity Works protection to this day (5/7/24)! My information is on the dark web thanks to their mishandling. I am submitting a complaint with the FCC today!

This conversation has been merged. Please refer the main conversation:

Data Breach

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

12 days ago

AT&T is still sending out the notices if you are a current AT&T customer and were part of the breach. The breach, btw, was from a vendor that AT&T uses/used and not AT&T directly. Doesn't excuse AT&T for not ensuring that their vendors have security that makes breaches very difficult. Filing an FCC complaint is fine but nothing will probably come of it. Lots of folks have been filing FCC complaints. 

Most everyone's data is on the dark web to one degree or another. If you've been on the internet for any length of time or purchased anything online, your data is out there. You'd be surprised how much personal information can be gained with just your name, address, and phone number if one wants to dig deep enough.

7 Messages

12 days ago

Social security numbers are a whole different ballpark. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

12 days ago

@aweber123  Yes they are. But even those, if the bad guys want to spend the time building a "package" on you can get that information if they dig deep enough and long enough. That being said, AT&T still needs to take some responsibility for what the vendor they used did. What that is I don't know. I haven't received any notification that my ssn is out there due to AT&T's breach and I've been with them since the old PacBell days.

Why the vendor kept customer data that long, especially ex-customers on a poorly secured server is the big question.

7 Messages

12 days ago

Agreed. I haven't been a customer for as long as I can remember. Once it affects a person directly it definitely feels invasive. I can handle the ok someone got my phone # or email but knowing your social is out there,that's a different feeling. The last thing I want to deal with is changing my social. A little disturbing that AT&T is not being more proactive with past customers. I can assure them I will never return. I realize this can happen with any company however it is the response from the company that substantially makes a difference in the future. It's AT&T issue to deal with their vendor. I've registered into the multiple (Edited per community guidelines) suits potentially taking place. And yeh,why are they holding data that old???? So many questions for a company of this magnitude. All I know is if I'm a fugitive next week....it wasn't me!

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

12 days ago

@aweber123  Verizon, T-Mobile, etc have all had data breaches as well. What they did for their customers I don't know. AT&T should look into that and follow suit. Registering into the various legal actions is certainly your choice but when all is said and done, probably a couple of years from now, you will probably get very little, if any compensation. The attorneys will get most of it. And unless AT&T can enter into some contractual agreement with Experian to extend the one year is anybody's guess. Put a freeze on Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion. Speaking of Equifax, they too had a serious data breach a couple of years back 🤷‍♂️.

7 Messages

12 days ago

I saw that on the FTC and they still have protection open enrollment on that breach. Nothing for AT&T. Im not looking to capitalize on this but when you enter those suits it's easier to keep up with what is going on because the law offices will send email updates. AT&T hasn't provided me with anything ,you never really know how things unfold in life these days.

2 Messages

8 days ago

I have many, many questions as to why after I haven't been with AT&t for about 10 years, do they still have my information in their systems where they could be snatched by someone.... Somebody need to answer some questions for me?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

7 days ago

@refusalxx The data breach came from a vendor that AT&T used, not AT&T itself. Why the vendor retained customer data for that length of time is unknown. AT&T certainly should have vetted the vendor's security and storage policies better but obviously they didn't. Not that it helps you but AT&T is not alone in recent data breaches so it's an industry-wide problem. For the current AT&T customers that are known to have been affected, AT&T is supposedly offering them a free year of identity protection with Experian. 

As far as getting answers for you, this is a public, customer to customer forum only. It is not AT&T Support and AT&T Management does not monitor these forums. Calling AT&T Support will be an exercise in futility because they don't know what AT&T's plans are, if any,  for the non-customers.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.