Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
Shirazois's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, February 8th, 2017 10:07 PM

UVerse vs DSL

What is the difference between DSL and Uverse?   We currently have DSL which only became available a few years ago here.  But I hear rumors that DSL is going obsolete with ATT.   Is one better and also pricing comparisons?   We only have internet.  No phone, TV etc.   Also we use Wifi with DSL and ethernet.     Very confusing to customers.  

Guru

• 

462 Messages

7 years ago

DSL is using standard copper or phone lines for connection to internet and for uverse has dedicated fibre optic connection. Price will still depend on speed package, them might also offer you to bundle service that would provide discount for services. Robot Happy

ACE - Expert

• 

35.4K Messages

7 years ago

U-verse was a brand for services outside of traditional telephony, i.e. Tarriffed, services such as POTS and DSL.  It initially was for VDSL2 served IPTV and High Speed Internet (HSI), then grew to some limited FTTP (Fiber to the Premise aka FTTH or Fiber to the Home), and added U-verse Voice (VOIP) service, and later was expanded to include ADSL2+ service over copper from the CO and FTTN for VOIP and HSI.  No more than 10% of U-verse customers have ever been FTTP, most are FTTN.

The U-verse brand is being phased out now, so DSL is something that AT&T no longer wants to sell while U-verse is something that AT&T still sells but no longer wants to call it by its name.

I hope that helped.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

OK. Then we don't even have uverse out here and I have nothing to bundle
anyway. Quite happy with the DSL connection. I have a lite speed and its
sufficient.

Scholar

• 

98 Messages

7 years ago

For those still with DSL, what is the Data Allowance, if you know?? My Uverse DATA limit is 1024G/mo

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

7 years ago

Like some of you, I have been ATT customer for decades. The DSL overage charge model needs to be updated. Say I hit the limit a couple of times at the 2nd last day of the billing cycle, and got hit with $ 10 overage charge. When it was the last day, and usage went over just over a Gb, the effective overage charge becomes obscene. At $10 / Gb? Usury, it is.

Carryover is a better alternative, just as minutes left over in 700-min calling plan. Say I pay for DSL overage on October 19 for billing period ends October 21, and if there are 32 Gb left (of 50 Gb paid for), that 32 Gb shall add to the allowance for the next billing cycle.

ATT can make that minor change in billing software, yet go a long way toward rewarding long-time ATT customers. Spread the word and make the change for better customer satisfaction.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

So, basically since I have u-verse fiber to node-copper to apartment and my speed plan is 18mbps I pay about $30 for the 1TB data usage and $30 for mainly the internet speed and line usage and taxes etc. While internet 100 with 100mbps pay the same amount for 1TB plan ($30) per month and $60 for almost 5 times the speed I get. Somehow, I am paying for ATTs neglect or living in an apartment or certain area. 

We can some months manage to get 500gb  if we download alot of files or stream alot of HD but it is rare. With a higher speed we could get maybe 700gb.

I think the manual labor (need stamina to put in the fiber optics) and the copper wiring access and removal and or replacement in older residences is a main issue. Laws onto land an houses etc. I just guessing here, since I cannot find alot of information online about this.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.