Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
worknman's profile

2 Messages

Saturday, November 11th, 2023 6:09 PM

Recertification of AT&T senior plan

My mother (who does not own a computer and only uses the Internet to watch stuff on Roku) has a plan for seniors on AT&T that she pays $10 a month for. She's had this plan for about 5 years, and recently got something in the mail about having to recertify. I called the number provided in the letter, trying to figure out what's going on. The guy said you have to recertify for this plan regularly, and that she's already recertified several times. But this is the first time they've ever asked her to do this.  Does anybody know  why after all this time she has to recertify now?

He also said something about qualifying for the Affordable Connectivity Program. (Which she probably would, because she's on SNAP.) How much pain is involved in getting switched over to the ACP? What sort of bandwidth caps are we looking at by doing this? (Right now, I think it's 500gb a month, which is plenty for her.)

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

6 months ago

ATT does not have a “Senior” plan.  They do offer 2 different assistance programs, ACCESS by ATT program is for low income customers on SNAP.  The second is ACP (Affordable Connectivity Program) which is a Federal Program that pays $30 towards internet, again for low income.  Look at her bill to see what speed service she has, what the cost is and what assistance program(s) she is currently on.

It is my understanding that, yes, you have to get recertification for the ACP program.  Perhaps that is also true of the Access program.  Information is available HERE

For the ACP Program ACP Resertifcation  HERE

(edited)

2 Messages

6 months ago

So the ACP just pays for whatever plan she's on, up to $30?

I seem to recall when she signed up that it was $10 a month for 10mbps.  I looked at her bill (online, because it auto renews), and it says 'Internet Basic 5 / Access from AT&T Promotional Offer - $10'. According to the Internet, that plan is only 5mbps, so maybe they lowered it at some point, IDK. She's 1,000 miles away from me, so I can't check her speed.

Whatever the case, any idea why they let her go 5-ish years without having to recertify? Was this just an oversight by AT&T?

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

6 months ago

Since both programs are for LOW INCOME (not senior exclusive), recertification is necessary to weed out those whose circumstances have improved.  In other words they DID qualify but no longer qualify.

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.