For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
J

• 

4 Messages

Friday, March 6th, 2020 9:10 PM

AT&T Internet 2020 SCAM FRAUD ALERT

February 7, 2020: I receive an unpromoted email from [email scrubbed] stating:

"We’ve upgraded you to Internet 24 on us, just to say thanks.

Since you’re a valued AT&T Internet and Wireless customer, we improved your online experience.

So get ready for faster Internet at no additional cost that’s great for streaming on multiple devices, sharing videos and photos, and playing online games.

There’s nothing you need to do.

Just keep doing your thing and enjoy the entertainment you love."

March 6, 2020: My very next billing statement shows that my service has changed from Internet 18 to Internet 24 and my monthly bill is suddenly $10 MORE. This is absolute fraud and a straight up scam. I have spent HOURS on the phone with AT&T Billing to get the additional charge reversed and to get my "free upgrade" back downgraded to Internet 18. They're telling me that they can downgrade my service to Internet 18 but the price increase will still apply. I have literally talked to 4 different AT&T representatives on the phone. Each one says the same thing. When I try to speak to a "Manager" they put me on hold for extended periods of time or they say they're transferring me and I get disconnected or they tell me I will receive a phone call in return and I do not.

At this point, instead of trying to get AT&T to right their wrong, I have already decided to move to Spectrum, which is able to provide me with even an faster internet speed and at $30 less per month. Very disappointed in AT&T.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

4 years ago

You can call it whatever you want but if the price of your internet 18 plan increased, that’s the price you pay whether you accept the higher speed plan or not. You don’t have the option of not accepting the price increase. Hope you are happy with Spectrum, just realize their price will likely be even higher once their promotional price ends.

• 

4 Messages

@sandblaster You didn’t seem to read my entire post. The price of my Internet 18 did not change. AT&T voluntarily “upgraded my internet speed to Internet 24 at no cost to me”, so they said in an email they sent me. But then, surprise, my monthly bill suddenly increased. I didn’t authorize a change to my plan so they shouldn’t have changed it and they shouldn’t have charged me more. And when I asked to downgrade to get back to my previous price point, they said they could downgrade my internet speed but would still charge me the higher price. Which makes no sense. I know the promotional price with Spectrum will end in 24 months. That’s how I ended up at AT&T last time. So I’m sure in 24 months I’ll go back and they’ll try to compete to regain my business. This is nothing new... same ol’ game. But the way they advertised their “free upgraded speed benefit” was a complete lie. I’m sure many others don’t even realize they’re now paying more for something they didn’t even ask for.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

They're telling me that they can downgrade my service to Internet 18 but the price increase will still apply.

Sorry if I misunderstood but I interpreted that to mean your internet 18 plan got a price increase. That seems to be the detail you are not understanding. I believe that email was their way of informing you that your old plan got a price increase. If so, disguising it in that “free upgrade” offer was crappy, yes, but if your plan did have a price increase, that’s what you were going to be billed whether you accepted the speed upgrade or not. Since you went ahead and switched to Spectrum, perhaps we’ll never know.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

4 Messages

@sandblaster Again, you’re incorrect and if you’d read my entire initial post you’d understand. I quoted their email, word for word, which states they they upgraded by service to Internet 24 free of charge. I spent several hours on the phone with different representatives to confirm this and to try to find a resolution. To which, there was none; hence the switch in service providers.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

Let me try:

It is my understanding that AT&T raised the price of Internet 18 and Internet 24 by $10. They gave you a free upgrade from the new, HIGHER, price of Internet 18, to the new, HIGHER, price of Internet 24. The prices of Internet 18 and Internet 24 are the same. The upgrade is free. The fact that they gave you the free upgrade on the same month they raised the price is unfortunately stupid.

[ Be advised that you've posted on a community forum primarily peopled by other customers.  I am not an AT&T Employee.  An AT&T Customer Support rep may or may not ever reply to your post. ]

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

4 Messages

@JefferMC Thank you. If that’s fact then: (1) You’re right, it is stupid. (2) They need to inform a LOT of their employees because I spoke to several and NONE were able to tell me this. Lol

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Bel leery of ATT. They tell you lies to get your money. THE WORST CO I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH> BAD BUSINESS

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.