For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
prouticus's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, August 23rd, 2014 5:22 PM

Uverse router upgrade eligibility?

Hi there!

I've been a Uverse customer here in Round Rock TX for about 5 years (across 3 houses), and have had the same 2wire RG for that time.  It's got wireless b/g.  Normally would be fine, but my 4 kids are growing and the number of wireless devices have proliferated seemingly exponentially in my house.

So, I'm curious if/when I might be eligible for upgrading to a RG that supports wirelessN or wirelessAC?

Thanks!

Dave

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

10 years ago

Another option is to purchase a dual band router and maybe even one with ac and put it into the bridge mode easy and trouble free.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

What exactly is "bridge mode"?  Is this simply disabling the wireless mode on the RG3801 and then using a single patch cable to connect the RG3801 to the WAN port on the 802.11N router.  The previous reply also mentioned "DMZ mode".  Is that the same as "bridge mode"?

Thanks

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

10 years ago

"Bridge mode" is a term applied to modems/gateways that means that they somewhat "disappear" from the connection and allow your own router to control the connection to the ISP.  AT&T U-verse Residential Gateways (RG) do not have a true bridge mode.

However, they have either (depending on model) DMZplus or IP Passthrough, which do act very much the same, especially if you spend some time disabling some of the filters that are still in place.  post 2 in this thread provides some more general guidance.

However, if all you want is better wireless coverage, my advice would be to configure your consumer-grade wireless router as an access point as is described in see post 13 in this thread.  This leaves your RG in full control of your network (which can be handy for some U-verse smartphone and tablet apps, as well as Media Share), but allows you to have better Wireless coverage.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.