Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
donluz's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, February 21st, 2013 10:05 PM

Using your own router with the Motorola NVG510 - it absolutely works and it's easy to do!

Hello.  I am writing this in an attempt to save other customers (and the AT&T staff) from many hours of work and frustration.  I was a long-time DSL customer and had always used my own router behind the DSL modem.  A simple setting on the modem turned it into a "dumb" pass-through and allowed my router to handle all the traffic as I pleased.  Changing over to U-verse required a new modem and at first, that presented a huge problem with my router.

What took me about 7 hours of work, online chatting with multiple agents and even finally trying paid support with AT&T (and in both cases being told it's not possible to do), I succeeded in using my own home router with the NVG510 modem under the U-verse service.  The process is fast and simple (in retrospect) and should take you about 10 minutes.

See below...

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Hi Voyager,

I think what we are forgetting is that since Uverse uses IPTV, all of the devices connected to the AT&T router, requires an ipaddress to work including all of your stbs; and since you only limited the DHCP part of the AT&T router to just give 1 ipaddress, your tv will just be stuck on that initialization stage.  I would recommend to broaden the DHCP (Private subnet) of your AT&T router to instead of giving just 1 ip, to give atleast 5 or 10.

Hope that helps.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

9 years ago

@sam_ritan wrote:

Hi Voyager,

I think what we are forgetting is that since Uverse uses IPTV, all of the devices connected to the AT&T router, requires an ipaddress to work including all of your stbs; and since you only limited the DHCP part of the AT&T router to just give 1 ipaddress, your tv will just be stuck on that initialization stage.  I would recommend to broaden the DHCP (Private subnet) of your AT&T router to instead of giving just 1 ip, to give atleast 5 or 10.

Hope that helps.

The author was documenting the set up for an NVG510, which does not have to deal with IPTV.  It is not recommended to connect the U-verse IPTV equipment through your own router, but instead connect it directly to your U-verse Gateway.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

can you use same SSID and PSW on new router??

this is great write up...what did you use for SSID and PSW for the new router.... i knowit's better to use new one but then you would need to reset all devices...smart phones, pc's, printers,  smart TV's, ROKU sticks, etc. 

any suggestions

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

i followed everything and still in call of duty I'm moderate. The funny thing is I had time warner and didn't have to do anything but hook up my router and was fine no I got this sry dsl modem and have had nothing but problems, annoying as heck I just wanna break everything

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

If your AT&T router is still hooked up won't the 2 routers be in conflict with each other?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

You have to turn wifi off on the nvg589

Sent from my iPhone

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Thanks so much for the play by play. The setup was fast and super easy thanks to your detailed instructions. If only everything else in life had instructions like these, everything would be so simple. Many thanks.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

If I make these changes on my NETGEAR nighthawk router to work with att, do I need to make the change back if I go with another company that I can use my own modem?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Awesomeness! This was the easy and accurate solution I was looking for.  Thank you for taking the time to document and share ...    This is the best part of the internet as far as I am concerned ..  folks like you sharing your knowledge.  
I was able to easily configure my new Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000 router to manage my home network to work with the ATT NVG510.  I used the stock settings for the Netgear at 192.168.1.1 while setting the Motorola at 192.168.0.254 and I can still easily access both units at their respective addresses.

Gary

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.