For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
vitaminn's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, December 27th, 2014 6:34 PM

NVG 510 dual band?

Hello, I have a NVG 510 and i'm wondering if it is a dual band router?

I would like to setup a 5 ghz wireless bridge between the NVG and another router in different room and have the have both the NVG and second router's 2.4 ghz broadcasting for devices to connect to.

In the end, I am trying to extend my network because the current location of the DSL line is in the garage and the signal is week in other parts of the house.

Thanks.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@vitaminn wrote:

Hello, I have a NVG 510 and i'm wondering if it is a dual band router?

I would like to setup a 5 ghz wireless bridge between the NVG and another router in different room and have the have both the NVG and second router's 2.4 ghz broadcasting for devices to connect to.

In the end, I am trying to extend my network because the current location of the DSL line is in the garage and the signal is week in other parts of the house.

Thanks.

Nope, have to set-up another router through IP Passthrough, p58, see the manual here:

http://www.ron-berman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/nvg510manual.pdf

Use these instructions from Computer Joe:

This is what I did to use an "internal" router. I set my "internal" router to use DHCP for the WAN address, plugged it's WAN port in to the RG, reboot the "internal" router, let the RG assign a local address to the "internal" router and then set that address to the DMZ in the RG's management interface. When I go to the "internal" router's management interface it shows as having the same WAN, gateway, and DNS addresses that the RG uses.

I set the "internal" router to assign addresses to "my" side of the network in a different IP range than what the RG uses (192.168.2.* instead of 192.168.1.*) but using the same subnet mask (255.255.255.0). My internet works fine with no interuptions and local network tasks (back ups, streaming, etc.) work as expected.

I can also still access the RG from "my" side of the network when I need to without having to change any network settings or swap any cables. Leave DHCP running on the RG. You do not need to disable the firewall in the RG as the DMZ will open a pinhole through it to the address you pick (your internal router).

If you have existing wireless on your router that your satisfied with and want to keep, just make sure to turn off the wireless in the RG.

As for the STBs they should be run straight out of the RG with CAT5 or RG6 Coax.

Where he states DMZ, that's IP Passthrough on the 510.  Good luck 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks Chris, Ill give it a shot.  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

hi guys. I still have "a land" line that we use a lot for a fax line. So, I have a phone line (uverse) and a data line for net on my Arriss NVG510. yea...  I bought a couple of 1100mbs electrical/internet adapters you plug into an electrical outlet anywhere in your home, use the included ethernet cable to your device. I used another for port 1 on my modem/router. It actually worked. I built a 30x60 shop 30 ft from my house. as long as you plug the adapter into it's OWN electrical outlet, your electrical wiring is your network wiring. Plug an adapter into an electrical outlet, Ethernet to your computer. you could even plug into another  router...or a typical router, then to a wireless router.... just think about what you could think of to do...... The adapters DO have to be behind the same electric meter. Hope maybe this helps someone! 

4-13-18

[Edited for privacy-This is a public forum. Please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc]

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.