Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.

AT&T related help: AT&T Internet support

kimcast's profile

3 Messages

Saturday, April 27th, 2024 11:38 PM

Network Interface Device (NID)damaged ?

No longer have ATT internet service but just noticed the NID box on the exterior of house had black substance ( appearing like black like spray paint or smoke ? wish I could attach photos) around box and on areas of house siding. I opened the box and every bit of it and any wires are black, nothing appears melted. Any thoughts on why this happened ? Hoping to find contact for ATT to get an answer from the installation dept?tech.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

22.4K Messages

19 days ago

Lightning strike on or near local pole, expect everybody within a block or two likely has the same issue and those with ATT copper service would be out of service. Did a major power outage happen, with lightning striking a transformer on a pole?

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

19.5K Messages

19 days ago

To post a photo click on the image icon at the bottom of the page, next to the thing that looks kind'a like a paper clip. From your description sounds like a lightning strike.

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

19.5K Messages

19 days ago

Yes,  definitely some type of major power hit on the infrastructure. 

3 Messages

19 days ago

Thank you 

Tutor

• 

430 Messages

19 days ago

Some of that could be mold. I had that around the outside of mine and washed it off.

Former Employee

• 

22.4K Messages

19 days ago

While there does appear to be mold or similar on the siding, below NID... the blackness is soot, ash from incomplete combustion.  The power surge (lighting) reached the protector in the NID and was stopped but the copper drop wire going into the NID caught fire. 

If opened the panel door of NID would see scorched wires of drop.

3 Messages

18 days ago

Thank you ! 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.