For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
T

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, February 11th, 2021 4:27 PM

Internet is even slower after requesting an upgrade..

We recently upgraded to 50 (from 24)... and our internet almost seems worse.  We do have a lot of items connected, phones, tv, game systems, thermostat, laptops and desktops.  We often have issues connecting or staying connected while streaming movies.  We've already had 3 techs come out.  I was reading that if the equipment is older than 5 yrs it may need to be upgraded.  Does AT&T offer this, would it be worth buying a new gateway on Amazon?  We currently have a Motorola NVG589.  Thanks.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

3 years ago

It might be worse.  The 589 is a bit long in the tooth, but capable, especially if you off load the Wi-Fi to another system (Mesh or just another Wireless Router or Access Point).

I think you should check to be sure that your line is capable of properly handling 50 Mbps (something the techs should have done).  Go to http://192.168.1.254 , click on the Broadband tab and look for the table with Sync Rates, Attenuation, SNR and error counts.  Take a screen shot and past in a reply for advice.

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Is this the info you needed?  My husband is at home so I had him do it... Thanks for taking the time to help out!

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

3 years ago

Yep, that's it.  You've got a bonded pair, with ~55/10 capacity, so it's quite capable of handling the upgraded bandwidth.  Your error counts look good: No CRC, FEC less than 100 per minute.  So that's not where your issues are coming from.

What kind of device(s) do you have streaming movies?  What service?  I'm assuming they're connected via Wi-Fi?  How far are they from the Gateway?

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Its a Sony tv.. its happened various times on different services - Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix.  Yes its on wifi and maybe 10-15 feet from the gateway.

My son has Dell laptop that rarely gets over 5Mbps while sitting on the couch also only 10-15 feet away from the gateway.  Our phones (Samsung, Motrola, LG and Apple) are all hit or miss when we do speed tests.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

3 years ago

Wi-Fi is subject to all sorts of fluctuations due to interference from other networks, some other devices, building materials, antenna placement, angle, movement, etc.  My phone works better when I hold it vertical than when it's horizontal. 

I normally recommend to anyone having Wi-Fi issues that they try an access point or something from a company that makes a decent share of its living making Wi-Fi equipment.   You can turn off the Gateway's Wi-Fi and just use an Access Point or Router as an Access Point.  You can turn off the Gateway's Wi-Fi and direct traffic through to a Wireless Router or Mesh system, which may give you other features you want (time of day controls, etc.)

Even third party gear has to deal with the vagarities of Wi-Fi, though.  You might want to run SSID Insider (Windows) or Wi-Fi Analyzer (Android) to see what your Wi-Fi Gateway is competing with.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.