For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
oklatravler's profile

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

Friday, March 29th, 2024 8:44 PM

Intermittent outage TV/Internet often

We stream Hulu Live TV. Often it will say lost connection or each morning when we turn on for first time it will say not connected. We then power off (it's connected wirelessly) then power back on and it comes on. We are so frustrated with this! Also, what's weird is, when we do lose connection, our laptops are still up and running. So not sure what's going on. I called ATT and they suggested getting an extender or better yet connected to ethernet, however, the router is about 35ft from TV and not able to move it to where the TV is. TV is by outside wall. Do you think an extender will help with this issue? We do have several smart devices if that matters.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35.3K Messages

1 month ago

It does sound like your Samsung TV is having trouble staying connected to the Gateway's Wi-Fi.  There are likely two culprits: (1) the TV probably goes into some low power mode, making it hard to keep a connection and, (b) the Gateway's Wi-Fi isn't going to win any awards for Wi-Fi robustness.

So, yes, an extender may help, but I wouldn't use AT&T's Extender service; get one made by a reputable dealer in home Wi-Fi equipment. 

Better would be an Access Point (which is essentially an Extender with an Ethernet cable back to the Gateway) significantly closer to the TV.

Best would be a wired connection to the TV.  If you can't run a premanufactured Ethernet cable directly between the Gateway and the TV, then perhaps you have twisted pair wiring in the walls?  Failing that, perhaps a pair of Powerline adapters that would bridge the Ethernet between them; plug one in near the Gateway and one near the TV and run Ethernet cables from each adapter to the Gateway or TV.

You can check the Samsung menus to see if there's a low power Wi-Fi mode that can be turned off, or if they have any suggestions on how to keep the link up.  

ACE - Expert

• 

35.3K Messages

1 month ago

On what device do you stream "Hulu Live TV?"

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

1 month ago

Our Samsung 75" TV.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

1 month ago

Thank you Jeffer for that info. Much appreciated for your time. A bit over my head but, I will say this. My husband went up in the attic and found out that he was able to tie on to the existing cat 5 cable and moved the modem behind TV and hooked up the ethernet to LAN on TV. He is not sure if this is correct. However, after all of this, we have had one disconnection. Soooo?

ACE - Expert

• 

35.3K Messages

1 month ago

If the Gateway came up in the new location and seems to be working at least as well as before, that sounds like a win.  If you're at least having fewer issues than over Wi-Fi, that can also be a good thing.  You might need to ensure that the TV is using the Ethernet cable instead of the Wi-Fi.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

1 month ago

I would heed the advice given. Until you get your own wifi solution, a wireless connection for streaming will not be a good experience.  Minimally I would expect to see buffering and worse would be picture quality issues.   WiFi in gateway is really only capable of casual use and not for connections that require 100% availability.  

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

1 month ago

Thanks guys for all your advice. He went in and changed the settings from wireless to wired after having hooked up the ethernet to TV Lan. (See my post above) Turned on TV this morning and it came on. So fingers crossed.

Have a blessed day!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.