Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Paraquat's profile

• 

32 Messages

Saturday, January 13th, 2024 3:58 AM

fixed wireless wants new gateway

Hello! I have fixed wireless using a Pace 5268AC gateway. I only have the internet. I don't have nor want TV anything and I don't use or have access to cable. So is there another gateway available to me?

Accepted Solution

Former Employee

• 

22.4K Messages

4 months ago

Yes, but requires you to switch from 4G LTE Fixed Wireless to 5G FWA (fixed wireless access) if available.

Both are single cell tower internet but

* Fixed Wireless requires tech installation for antenna ($99), modified software on Uverse platform gateway (5268), hardwired from antenna to gateway, has a data cap depending on when signed up could be from 170G to 500G, has overage charge of $10/50G up to $100 per month. Normally installation and repair is performed by DirecTv contractor for your rural area which is limited to select areas of 18 states. Uses band 30 only from tower.

ATT AIR requires no installation, no on site repair support. New equipment shipped to you, recommended to place high up (2nd floor if availabile) near a window facing the assigned tower (may have to be placed in a different location compared to the 5268 locations that is hardwired), no data cap, no overage charge, lower monthly cost by at least $10 per month ($60 with $5 paperless billing/autopay discount brings total to $55), uses 5G signal but may drop to 4G LTE depending on signal strength. 

https://www.att.com/internet/internet-air/

edit… other 5G FWA products are available from T-Mobile and Verizon if ATT AIR is not yet offered for your address.

(edited)

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

4 months ago

To paraphrase into a shorter answer than my thoughts excellently detailed answer:

"No" for the service you have now.

If it's available to you, and you're willing to switch to it, AT&T Internet Air uses a different Gateway and is cheaper.  However, there is no external antenna so placement in your home becomes key.

However, I would want to know why you want a new gateway?

• 

32 Messages

4 months ago

Thanks My Thoughts! I hope it's available in my area, I'm gonna check it out! And JefferMC, I read where the model I have is no longer being supported with updates ect..  Is that the case or no? Better service, well cheaper anyways, sounds like a winner to me! Thanks again to both of you! :)

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

4 months ago

Yes, you are correct: AT&T informed customers that the 5268AC is no longer receiving firmware updates.  The AllFi hub (which is the cute name for the Internet Air Gateway) would fix that issue for several year, I would hope.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.5K Messages

4 months ago

Just to be clear, it’s not the end of the world the 5268 isn’t receiving firmware updates.  Real world performance may not be any different for you with Air, and people using the new service are experiencing issues.  

Former Employee

• 

22.4K Messages

4 months ago

An ATT Fixed Wireless customer using CGNAT and ATT AIR also CGNAT might not have the same expectation as someone coming from a hardwired connection. The two products should be similar user experience.

In my opinion, for what it is worth, Fixed Wireless with higher cost ($70?) lower bandwidth (min 10/1)  and limited data with potential overage charges to FWA ($55) with unlimited data and higher expected bandwidth (40-140) is the ideal candidate. In truth anyone with LEGACY DSL (best speed 6/.5) 150G data cap to ADSL2 (18/1 or less) are the target markets along with satellite internet users (rural to semi rural) FWA offering faster down/up with no data cap paying similar to someone with internet 300.

For those with internet 25 or higher (VDSL FTTN) including cable users and fiber users… FWA is a backup product… just my opinion.

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.