Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
cwcic1's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, October 24th, 2015 8:15 PM

Computers slow opening web sites

My computers are getting where they have trouble pulling up web sites.  It is on all my computers.  My question is itm possible that the DSL is to old.  I don't remember how old it is.  It is at lest 15+ years old.  I am getting tired of waiting for sites to come up.   Thanks !  Charles

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

9 years ago

I am posting two stories that are not exactly on topic, but they do relate:

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/04/when-att-promises-broadband-but-delivers-only-300kbps/

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/06/internet-nightmare-att-sells-broadband-to-your-neighbors-but-not-to-you/

ATT;s DSL service equipment is old, and getting older. Technically, they were almost out of date in some of the areas they installed them.

The legacy DSL service is being phased out. Deadline if 2020, though many areas will lose DSL service before that.

Still, getting back to your primary topic of pages loading slower, others have been reporting it as well.

Reading though this related thread may give you some ideas of things to try, to see if it helps speed up your page loading.

https://forums.att.com/t5/Troubleshoot-Internet-Service/Why-is-my-Browser-so-slow-in-resolving-URL-pages-and-downloading/m-p/4331956#M6165

Good luck.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

Charles,

I'm not one to stick up for any monopoly ( usdebtclock.org ) but since I work in the field of a non-related computer-based company I can tell you there is a myriad of reasons as to why your internet can be slow.

Here, Let's consider firstly your computer.  Is it slow opening word, or notepad or the music player (not online-related items)?   If your computer is slow at opening the programs that are non-internet related, then either consider adding memory (ram), upgrading your processor or op sys or the entire computer (you might first try simply reinstalling the op sys to factory and see if that solves your issue).

If however your computer is fast at opening the programs that are non-internet related, then you might want to try a quick fix in simply installing a different browser (if you have IE then try firefox or chrome) and see if you've picked up speed.  There's another pandoras box with those "free" toolbars and so-called free (or even the paid versions) of the anti-virus programs that accomplish little in protection and simply slow your machine down ridiculously (how many police men do you have "protecting" your computer right now?).   Again, simply reinstalling your operating system from scratch will ensure that all those other accumulated programs are erased (now don't fall for their gimicks again because that's on you and those companies will play on your ignorance).

Okay, I'm also on here for an answer so please weedle through these other ideas I left for another user with a question here and you should be able to deduce and solve your own problem.   Now I'm NOT saying that at&t is not responsible for the service you pay for, but unfortunately unless you are an I.T. tech you're invariably not going to be able to pinpoint at&t as the root of your problem even if they are the root of your problem (plus they'll outspend you and outlive you if you should decide to do something such as a change of venue).

So here's some other advice that might help you (copied because I'm too old to come up with new ways to express old words):

But now to attempt to help you with your problem.  Firstly lets' check out your modem/router ports (or "services").  If you have a modem/router all-in-one unit, log into it and check which services you have open (ports).   You probably only need 80 which is http (they call it "webserver") but you might want to verify I'm correct on this (it's the only port we have open but then again we ARE a webserver (to the best of my knowledge that's the only port that is required for internet traffic though because I'm typing to you from our only other alternative ip provider which is time warner here and since this computer is not a webserver and on a non-at&t connection I'd presume that I've given correct information here.

Now, with all those other ports closed (ESPECIALLY VNC which is virtual network control which allows others to do things in your computer that I'm sure you DON'T want) use your machine for a day or two to see if a sudden decrease has occurred with your service's consumption.

If the aforementioned has not availed a successful end for you then you are probably using a windows machine.  If so, check this:  Are you running any peer to peer programs like a torrent program or bearshare or some other program that shares data?   If so, disable or uninstall those programs.  Check which running processes are active and scrutinize whether they are necessary (google is your friend....sometimes, so check which programs are running those processes...don't go crazy though, you don't want to create a bigger problem so if you're unsure then leave it alone).   You are basically focusing on the number one consumers of memory and/or processor usage.  Also, turn off any auto-updat features with any of the programs you have running in the background (we're adults, if something doesn't work suddenly, we'll update manually).  And finally, I run a computer repair shop and am going to state something I believe is honest, try something you've never tried before on this planet: next time you reinstall your system DON'T install ANY "antivirus" programs (free or paid).  If they actually were NOT a hoax then why are they the only machines coming in to the computer repair shops (call the shops in your yellow pages and ask: "of those machines coming in with viruses, how many of them DON'T already have an antivirus program installed?".  Fact is, the capitalists already have those programs in place and all they do is consume bandwidth and processor slowing down your machine for the ILLUISION of security.  Don't believe me still?   Then why is it when you DO get malware, spyware, trojans, worms and viruses, that you cannot get your money back when they fail to live up to their claims?   Be ye separate, let thine own cisterns water thee, ad infinitum and nauseaum.

Try it for a day or two and see if that has eliminated your problem.

If not then it's time to peruse logs (I'm not sure of locality in a windows machine, if it's linux simply type "log" and you'll come across log view's program if using a mainstream linux distro). Again though, walk on eggshells as you would want to be absolutely sure you are not eliminating something that is required by your system (regardless of whether you are using a windows machine or the other systems...the other systems including mac, linux, unix, solaris, bsd are unix-based systems are inherintly more secure than a windows op sys...ironically the monopoly stores all have that cash-cow windows as your ONLY alternative ....capitalism lies).

In any event if you are still having problems then try this, look in your router logs for clues, where is the accesses coming from?  If you have wireless turned on, then turn it off and try using an ethernet cable for awhile; anybody can hack a wireless connection so if you are in a community that has many homes around you then it might behoove you to rethink your need for wireless altogether.

There's more but it gets ridiculous after awhile trying to walk someone over the steps in a note (which is why they have schools just for this topic alone).

Hope something helps you,

Stay calm, we'll all be dead soon enough and none of this crap will amount to a hill of beans anyway.

amen

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.