Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Alph's profile

3 Messages

Saturday, April 27th, 2024 11:12 PM

Can I split my 2.x and 5.x network

Various manufacturers tell me my issues have to do with the combined networks. At some point my networks got merged and now I want to have them separate. Thanks in advance

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

19 days ago

The "Wireless" section of the forums is for AT&T Mobility service, not the Wi-Fi feature of your Internet Gateway.  I have moved your post over to Internet.

You may

1. go http://192.168.1.254/ ,
  2. click on Home Network,
  3. click on Wi-Fi,
  4. enter the password from the side of the Gateway as prompted,
  5. click on Advanced Options... 
  6. change the Network Name (SSID) under Home SSID in either of the two band sections (2.4 GHz Wi-Fi Configuration or 5 GHz Wi-Fi Configuration) as you desire.
  7. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Save...
  8. Click to confirm that you are an adult and can be trusted with the decision to not have band steering and that you won't be cowed.

3 Messages

19 days ago

Thanks, I will give it a shot!

ACE - Professor

• 

5.5K Messages

19 days ago

I’ve never seen band steering break devices.  While I’m the first or one of the first to throw Att under the bus for poor wifi design, the facts are what they are.  Here’s what’s worked for me, but keep in mind I’ve moved on to using my own personal wifi system, and I suggest this to anyone wanting to avoid issues with our given gateways.  
Use the above provided instructions but instead of changing the names, simply disable the 5GHz radio temporarily until your device is connected to the network.  Once done, restore the settings and your devices should function properly to the extent the WiFi of the gateway allows.   

11 Messages

15 days ago

I had sorta the same problem. My fix was to just not use the wifi on the gateway and use my own router. I have several devices that would not work with the gateway combining or basically it was saying ill figure out whats best for you and you will like it.

3 Messages

15 days ago

Which router did you select?

ACE - Professor

• 

5.5K Messages

15 days ago

I would pick a trusted name brand and ensure the product can operate in access point mode to make it easier for most to manage their home network with little to no changes to the gateway.  A general rule of thumb is the more it costs the more it can do.  WiFi 7 is out now and costs the most, but there are WiFi 5 systems out there that can still get the job done, with 6 and 6E inbetween.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.